VIC: XMAS in July 2013 case swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay guys, due to a lack of time, and a bunch of other commitments, I'm going to have to pull out of this one. I'm not even going to be able to make it on the day, which bums me out, as I am partial to char-grilled animal, liquid refreshment and slurred banter.

A thousand apologies, hopefully I can make it up at the summer case swap.

1. Manticle - Wee Heavy (no longer a SMASH)
2. Charst – Saison by the look of it (HomeBrew world falling apart)
3. Fikuss – Dunkelweißen
4. Meathead
6. breakbeer - Black Nelson IPA

7. Vitalstatistix

8. bullsneck - ESB

9. Wolfman

10. Shane R - Black Saison

11. Yob - English something bastardised (WY1318)

12. Midnight Brew

13. DarkFaerytales - Belgian Dark Ale - wyeast 1762

14. Damn
 - Belgian Strong
15. Edak - Pirates American IPA

16. Kahlerisms (tentative)

17. GrumpyPaul - Cherry Ripe Porter

18. Shane S

19. Grainer - Hoegarrten wannabe
20. micbrew - Stone &Wood Pacific Ale
21. JB
22. technobabble66

Non beer swapping attendees

1. Lecterfan (bloody good chance of getting there this time!!!)

2. Fents

3. Wakkatoo - if Lecterfan ends up making it, I'll share the drive from the 'rat with him.

Swap Day Purchases

1. Edak. Perlick and 1 keg
2. Manticle. Gas bottle and 1 keg
3. Yob. 1 keg
4. Darkfaerytale. 1 keg

Swaps

Reserves

Glass half empty = 1 less beer in the swap.

No Reserves - Means i now have one out of my 22 bottles to taste before hand.

Glass is half full....of Cherry Ripe Porter

Anyone in the Cheltenham area or close enough able to store my swaps?
I'll be away for the actual day.

I'm having to bow out too. Sorry gents. My case swap mailman is out. I'll be OS during the day. Bottles can't get there.

Enjoy the beers and have a great day.

3. Fikuss – Dunkelweißen
4. Meathead

7. Vitalstatistix

9. Wolfman

12. Midnight Brew

14. Damn
 - Belgian Strong

18. Shane S

21. JB
22. technobabble66

2. Fents

3. Wakkatoo - if Lecterfan ends up making it, I'll share the drive from the 'rat with him.

Swap Day Purchases

3. Yob. 1 keg
4. Darkfaerytale. 1 keg

Swaps

Reserves

That was a quick decision bulksneck. What did you actually need?. Your swaps transported to the venue or the swaps you get back held somewhere

bullsneck said:
Anyone in the Cheltenham area or close enough able to store my swaps?
I'll be away for the actual day.
Don't pull out just yet. I work in Dingley Village which is quite close to Cheltenham, I can pick them up for ya & store them with mine if ya like?

hold ya horses bullsneck, springvale is pretty close, i'm away from saturday for 2 weeks but i'm sure we can organise for your bottles to stay at my place somehow?

Well - I tasted my Cherry Ripe Porter last night.

I was right about it being a bit on the overcarbed side - so bottle number 17 will come with a "Potential Gusher Warning - open outdoors or over a sink".

Is it a good idea to crack the PETs to let a bit of gas out in the week before the swap?

That aside...

After allowing it to settle - I was pretty happy with the taste. Cherry flavour isnt too strong that its "in your face" - more of a subtle after taste. The coconut is almost non existant to my palate.

I am keen to swap this and get feedback from you guys.

Only 30 days to go....

Yeah you could crack and leave to let out some gas. Do it in stages till you get to the level you're happy with.

3. Fikuss – Dunkelweißen
4. Meathead

7. Vitalstatistix

9. Wolfman
- Malty Skunk Fart

12. Midnight Brew

14. Damn
 - Belgian Strong

18. Shane S

21. JB
22. technobabble66

2. Fents

Swap Day Purchases
3. Yob. 1 keg
4. Darkfaerytale. 1 keg
Swaps

Reserves

Just updated my entry. Not sure it will be that hoppy as I've had it CC for a while. Bottled today all in PET's just for safety.

I won't be in attendance for the evening as I have to work. Hoping I can drop my swap bottles with someone who can take them and pick mine up.

Cheers all.

Yet to finalise a start time, but I'd say it will start during the day & keep going until I fall over

breakbeer said:
Yet to finalise a start time, but I'd say it will start during the day & keep going until I fall over
Factor in time to sort out recipe, mill, heat strike water etc.. When I hosted, we started about noon (or a bit after due to equipment malfunctions) and it was well and truly dark by the time we had cubes..

Things rarely go strictly according to plan.. Like any brew day really...

3. Fikuss – Dunkelweißen
4. Meathead
5. Whiteferret

7. Vitalstatistix

9. Wolfman
- Malty Skunk Fart

12. Midnight Brew

14. Damn
 - Belgian Strong

18. Shane S

21. JB
22. technobabble66

2. Fents

Swap Day Purchases
3. Yob. 1 keg
4. Darkfaerytale. 1 keg
Swaps
Reserves

Putting myself down as a tentative. A long way to go but would be good to put faces to names. And to taste other brewers beers and have mine tasted in return.
Will confirm this weekend.

Alright Gents just a heads up as I'm not sure what to do. Tonight im bottling a Candi Sugar Rye Saison thats had my all. Saison Vautour from BYO.
I made the candi sugar, Brew and pitched dupont. Stalled at 1030, I aerated, stirred and repitched 3711 to dry it out. got it to 1007.

but after two weeks of cold conditioning and 4 weeks of ferment it taste shit. Rye is too strong and 17% of the grist seems like it should have been about 5%. and still taste sweet despite being 1007. like spoon full of sugar sweet. funnily enough the low alc grist i made which got infected (having a shit run and too much wine theft happening) taste great at the moment despite the pellicle.

Im not happy and shitted off im bottling this at all let alone putting it about as the best i can produce, because it ******* isn't. I have a very simple Smash and a lightly smoked ale in cube which i will pitch this weekend but if i end up sharing those it'll be young as you like.

not sure what do really and shitty as i want to put a decent sherbet out to share,

ash

Hey Charst,

Sorry to hear about your brewing disappointment.

"I made the candi sugar...." wtf?! That's a little hardcore, isn't it; or is candi sugar that easy to make? Sounds like a whole lot of effort right there!
For the record, i'm ok with you bringing the saison, 'cause then mine mightn't be the shittest in the swap :p But seriously, would that kinda thing condition out? or is it unalterable invert sugar, etc.

The SMaSH or the smoked ale sound really great to me. The more individual hops i try the better, & i'm keen to try a few samples of smoked ale. "Young as" is no issue for me - i'm not ploughing through 22 longnecks in a day, so yours will be put aside for a few weeks anyway. And if it's any consolation, i'm just fronting w a DSGA that i've never made before. Hopefully it's ok, but even if it is, it's hardly going to be a "wow" beer given everyone in AHB has made it. And it's only going to be in the bottle 2 1/2 wks when we rock up to the swap, so it'll probably sit next to yours in the waiting pile.

What's the hops in the SMaSH?

I'm hoping this swap thing is a no stress event where i get to talk crap, drink beer, watch several people hurt themselves on brewing equipment (not me!), & end up 22 recipes ahead in my sampling. Happy days! :chug:

Back