[vic] S/w Burbs Brew Club - Which One

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I think I should join a brew club to learn more about the art of beer making and think Melbourne is closer (ferntreegully) but probably not much further than bayside, I have spoken to Peter (brewers den) they run it at his factory about melbourne and that sounds ok. Is there any good things I should know about from either club, it another club, I am in Mulgrave on the monash freeway and east link.

cheers
Matt

Well im in Abbotsford and the Melbourne Brewers seems like the club for me. Yep, its now public. Im joining the Melbourne brewers. ;)

Now hurry up and have a meeting! Otherwise im marking my Beerfest beers as 'independent'. :p

Well im in Abbotsford and the Melbourne Brewers seems like the club for me. Yep, its now public. Im joining the Melbourne brewers. ;)

Now hurry up and have a meeting! Otherwise im marking my Beerfest beers as 'independent'. :p

But if you do that Fourstar you will be out of the running for the Old Dick... :ph34r:

Seriously Matt, just get down to a club and check it out - no harm in checking out both and seeing what works for YOU. either way, I don't reckon you can lose.

Brendo

But if you do that Fourstar you will be out of the running for the Old Dick... :ph34r:

Well hurry up and initiate me! The earlier the better! So... i have to be apart of Beerfest as a Melbourne brewer just so i can have some of the 'old dick'. Sounds kinda leather daddy to me! :lol:

I joined Melbourne Brewers around the same time as Brendo, and can confirm that if you are interested in AG brewing, or simply becoming a better brewer MB will help you immensely. Melbourne Brewers are an all-grain focused club as their website attests, but when I joined they also had around 4 kit brewers and 2 extract/partial brewers. All have now progressed onto the grain and make very tasty beers.

I learnt the knowledge and how to construct a lot of my gear for All Grain here on this site, but the internet will only teach you so much - handing around the brews I've made and getting real feedback (while daunting) has made me a much better brewer. Kinda like the practical feedback to compliment the theory that you get here on AHB.

There are plenty of independents who progress their craft without making the leap to a club, and that works for them - but in my opinion being part of a tribe of people who share the passion has been handy - not to mention the bulk buys, club brew days, events and guest speakers that you can only partake in by being a part of a unit like this. Being able to learn from professional brewers who come to speak, malt & hop suppliers who take you through their products, participating in gear build days, not to mention discussing issues with fellow homebrewers at meetings who have been at it for 15 years or more (and don't know their way around a site like this) - only comes from joining a club.

Bayside is a great club, and there are loads of other great clubs in Vic that are listed on the directory of the Grain & Grape site - but for me, I take the 45 minute drive out to Ferntree Gully each month because this place works for me. I wouldn't waste the time and effort if it didn't.

Hopper.

P.S: Dunno about that Old Dick stuff. Think I have steered well clear of that thing! Saw it on a trophy shelf and it looks dangerous! :ph34r:

but in my opinion being part of a tribe of people who share the passion has been handy - not to mention the bulk buys, club brew days, events and guest speakers that you can only partake in by being a part of a unit like this. Being able to learn from professional brewers who come to speak, malt & hop suppliers who take you through their products, participating in gear build days, not to mention discussing issues with fellow homebrewers at meetings who have been at it for 15 years or more (and don't know their way around a site like this) - only comes from joining a club.

Hence the reason of me stepping away from being independent. Im at that point in my brewing similiar to learning a musical instrument without any direction. Ive spent not enough time practicing my scales and instead preferred to whip out riffs of smoke on the water. :lol:
Hopefully my BJCP studies and the assistance of a club will expand my knowledge and help make me a better brewer.

I have learnt one thing over the years, primitave equiptment such as a brewery with only 1 ball valve is not an issue when it comes to brewing until you need a fermentation fridge <_< But we all want the bling! ;)

Which reminds me...I must pay up to become a member of Melbourne Brewers...been a free-loader for a while now...

When (and how) do beerfest entries need to be in? Have one or two I'd like to enter.

Which reminds me...I must pay up to become a member of Melbourne Brewers...been a free-loader for a while now...

When (and how) do beerfest entries need to be in? Have one or two I'd like to enter.

Hey Leigh,

You can only dodge Chris for so long... :ph34r:

Beerfest entries - details are on the entry form (available at www.beerfest.org). All entries must be in no later than 12pm 6/2/10 at one of the participating brew shops (listed on the site and entry form - just pick the closest one).

Brendo

Well hurry up and initiate me! The earlier the better! So... i have to be apart of Beerfest as a Melbourne brewer just so i can have some of the 'old dick'. Sounds kinda leather daddy to me! :lol:

You know you want it Fourstar :ph34r:

There will be an Australia Day BBQ (details haven't been sent out yet), otherwise, join up at the next BJCP session in early feb - next MB meeting isn't until late feb which is after Beerfest of course.

+1 for Melb Brewers mxb, great club and really good people. Although i was a bit slack and missed the last few meetings. Joinning a club is a great way to improve your brewing (and taste plenty of great beers along the way!)

Cheers SJ

You know you want it Fourstar :ph34r:
There will be an Australia Day BBQ (details haven't been sent out yet), otherwise, join up at the next BJCP session in early feb - next MB meeting isn't until late feb which is after Beerfest of course.

cool bananas! AUS Day BBQ hey, running a little late for invites?!?! It's 7 days away!

Hence the reason of me stepping away from being independent. Im at that point in my brewing similiar to learning a musical instrument without any direction. Ive spent not enough time practicing my scales and instead preferred to whip out riffs of smoke on the water. :lol:
Hopefully my BJCP studies and the assistance of a club will expand my knowledge and help make me a better brewer.

I have learnt one thing over the years, primitave equiptment such as a brewery with only 1 ball valve is not an issue when it comes to brewing until you need a fermentation fridge <_< But we all want the bling! ;)

Top work Fourstar. Great news that you're taking the step. I found club hard going at first (mainly because my kit & kilo beer was so average it was daunting watching people grimace while drinking it), but I reckon my beers have improved 3 times over since I started and that's why I have persisted with it. Tapping the knowledge of some of the more experienced members has been fantastic for me.

Know about the bling thing all too well. I had finished building my 3 tier set-up with all the nice bits and pieces but had no idea how to use it when I joined :lol:.

The descriptions on the net were just too confusing. Then went along to a club member's place to see him do a brew and was gobsmacked at how simple and low tech his methods were - he was using a couple of pots and an esky on top of a pile of bricks - and making beers that were winning 1st prize at comp level. It was then I realised that I didn't have to build something the size of a space station to make good beer.

Oh well, you live and learn! If I knew then what I know now! Won't be at the BBQ but reckon I'll be going to Beerfest at Grand Ridge. Should be good!

Hopper.

Hey Leigh,

You can only dodge Chris for so long... :ph34r:

Beerfest entries - details are on the entry form (available at www.beerfest.org.au). All entries must be in no later than 12pm 6/2/10 at one of the participating brew shops (listed on the site and entry form - just pick the closest one).

Brendo

Fixed ya link Brendo. Will drop my entries into Brewers Den closer to the date as I'll be bottling from keg. Gives me a cut-off for pulling my finger out and paying Chris too :ph34r:

see if you join melb brewers you have to put up with this bunch of clowns. :ph34r:

oh hang on, im meant to be joining as well aren't I ;) :lol:

MXD - i assume the responses so far give you an idea of general consenus of which club to go to?

Is there anybody active here in Bayside Brewers?

There doesn't seem to be the same level of activity, but it's much better located for me than MB.

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

it certainly does, cheers I'll be joining up on the next meeting.

Is there anybody active here in Bayside Brewers?

I heard they don't have initiation rites like MB, but you have to wear boat shoes and have a lemon knitted sweater draped over your shoulders to gain entry :ph34r:

Hopper

p.s: That should draw a few out for you! :lol: Come on Bayside! Defend yourselves!

Back