Very High Fg For Larger Fresh Wort Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slatts

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am currently brewing a Lager Fresh wort kit and the brew seems to have stopped fermentation very early. I used a southern German liquid yeast in a 1ltr starter and it has been brewed at a constant 12deg in a fridge. The OG was 1044 and after 10 days there is no sign of movement on the surface and have had 2 FG of 1026 which gives me an alcohol content of 2.3%.

Can any one please give me some advise as to where I have gone wrong and how to fix the problem for next time.

Cheers

1L starter isn't much for a cold pitched, cold fermented lager. You could pitch at ale temps and then once foam is produced, put the fermenter in the fridge.

Have a look at the yeast pitching calculator at mrmalty.com , which recommends about a 2-3L starter at the least.

I did a lager last year with a 4L starter - it was overkill, but i did get krausen within a few hours in the fermenter at 8C.

Anyway, just leave it a bit longer, it should be fine, if not, put some more yeast in, perhaps make another starter or add a sachet of dry w34/70 or s-189 to it.

Thanks very much for your advice, I had a look at that yeast pitching calculator, it is very useful.

Cheers

Thanks very much for your advice, I had a look at that yeast pitching calculator, it is very useful.

Cheers

Hey slatts,

If you are using a fridgemate, or something similar, you could up the temperature for a day or so to kick the yeast off again. I would try going up to, say, 15 or thereabouts until you see some action. Then drop it back again, perhaps not to 12, but maybe 13 or 14 to let the yeast finish off.

Have faith! :D

Latest posts

Back