VB Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
milestron said:
What is the point though? If I make a burger at home I don't try to 'clone' McDonalds
Three years back I would have said the same thing but since SABMiller have take over the price of their beers has skyrocketed. I say Clone, Clone, Clone until they get the message their very standard, very ordinary beer is actually not worth $50.00 a carton more like a third of that price and we CAN copy it, successfully.

his point was he wanted to make a beer that his friends drank and thought was good. different courses for different horses, milestron.

good luck mate, i wish i could brew a clone and have it close to spot on myself (personally not VB but other commercial lagers)

:icon_offtopic: KFC chicken clone is also delicious.

milestron said:
What is the point though? If I make a burger at home I don't try to 'clone' McDonalds
:lol: well yeah point taken, its just a one off, but it would be nice to see how close to commercial beer is attainable
plus learn how to get thinner body

my standard mash
60 min at 62-65,
20 min at 72
fly sparge at 72

is that anywhere near a decent lager mash?

I cloned a Big Mac a couple of years ago just for the hell of it. It was hard to get the special sauce right.

Hillbrewer said:
I cloned a Big Mac a couple of years ago just for the hell of it. It was hard to get the special sauce right.
I too tried to clone a big mac but the sample culture just went mouldy instead of generating a new burger, by that stage the donor burger had gone mouldy too. I don't know what went wrong; I wrapped the sample in Kleenex tissues but I suppose there is more to cloning than tissue culture. I have also tried nuclear transfer but since I couldn't readily get my hands on radio isotopes, I tried putting a sample in the microwave as I figured this would be close enough to nuclear power. This time I just took a sample of the meat patty and transferred the sample from the tissues to the microwave, zapped it a bit and then back to the tissues. After another mouldy episode I took an egg from the fridge, pricked a hole in it and removed the yolk. I then took a meat patty sample from a big mac and put it into the egg and then hooked it up to a set of jumper leads off my car battery. I thought 12v would be safer than 240v. Safety first huh. Since I didn't have any culture medium, I then put the egg into a bowl of raspberry jelly. Soon after, my cooked egg became mouldy too. I think cloning big macs is too hard; I might try to clone a cheeseburger instead.

A big mac would have been better as I have to report that this attempt at a 'VB Clone' failed. I ended up throwing it out yesterday. It wasn't infected and didn't smell too bad but tasted like a cross between stale Coolibah Moselle and goat's piss.

I have resolved never to attempt anything as stupid as this again.

Back to my 50% Munich I 50% Pilsners...

Charst said:
Vic's a little darker than you'd get off straight pils isn't it Bribie?
Yes it is a bit, according to a worker at the brewery who is on the forum they "dress" VB and MB differently when it comes out of the common pipe and add a bit of caramel to VB.

Another hint, to get a characteristic flavour and colour to the quite nice Reschs original Draught that you can still get round Sydney you can add a very small amount of Roast Barley, I'm talking maybe a spoonful. I did it once and really nailed it.

Anyway here's my megabrew made to the recipe I posted - yes add a wee smidge of something neutral like Carafa 2 to nudge the colour up a tad.

VB Clone.jpg

Malted said:
by that stage the donor burger had gone mouldy too. I think cloning big macs is too hard; I might try to clone a cheeseburger instead.
Try it with a kebab. The Doners are better.

Latest posts

Back