Vale Little Creatures Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always did prefer their bright ale to their pale ale. But even with the metallic twang the pale used to pack a punch that made you go for the next one. Haven't noted this the last time that was now a while ago too.

Speaking of 4 pines, I had started treating their kölsch as my fridge beer, it's not sumner or trumers but it'd do kinda thing. Last six pack however was butterscotch all over. Dropping it on its head knocked enough out to drink it. But still....

Feldon said:
Anyone ever had a bad Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from the Us? I haven't. Cheaper than many local six-packs too.
Late on the reply here. But, yes, I have.
Even the "good" ones aren't a shadow on a fresh SNPA in the States (although I'm sure the romantic notion of drinking it in its natural habitat also helps)

Spiesy said:
Even the "good" ones aren't a shadow on a fresh SNPA in the States (although I'm sure the romantic notion of drinking it in its natural habitat also helps)
I always wondered about that, I was drinking some SNPA the other day and was blown away by how fresh it tasted, the aroma was full on too, if it's that good after 6 to 8 weeks transit then fresh must be truly spectacular.

Spiesy said:

Agreed. Completely different beer in my opinion.

paulmclaren11 said:
When LC had a Q and A session online I asked them about the LCPA recipe and had it changed dramatically as I too used to love this beer but now find it very hit and miss and average at best. The response I got was 'my tastes had changed' and the recipe is still pretty much the same (different hops from time to time as people have suggested).

I put it down to me drinking more IPA's these days and finding it lacking in flavour.

It's still a good local beer, but I more opt for US beers when I am at the bottlo.

And yes, Fak Yak is horrible now for mine, makes me gag just thinking about it. Unless you get a fresh keg of it forget it....
Quoting myself now... I have to admit as Dan's has slabs of LCPA for $56 bucks these days (as opposed to the $65 it used to be) I have bought 3 cartons of it in the last months.

I have to say, I am a reborn LCPA fan. The batches I have had have been well balanced and packing a nice hop flavour. Even the batches I have had brewed in Geelong (I am in WA so have no idea why I am drinking Geelong brewed LCPA...) were nice.

Sometimes I think you need to revisit some beers. It was the beer that got me into craft beer and brewing.

On tap I think depends on the venue and how they treat their beers lines.

I was just thinking about this yesterday.

Yes LCPA has slowly dwindled (while the price has dropped a little). Ive been drinking this beer for about 10 years, and my taste hasnt changed a great deal as other beers (pilsener urqell etc.) still taste exactly the same.

I recently did a NZ cascade APA so have a pretty good nose for this hop now. Drinking LCPA from the tap yesterday and thought yep NZ cascade. Second round bought JS 150 Lashes PA and didnt really notice a difference (not that was looking att), my old man didnt even notice it was a different beer.

I had a six pack from Geelong a couple weeks back and it was better, but definately not the signature cascade and chinook bang of yesterday. Pints have been better but the bang has gone.

Now it sems to be a gentle pop, or even poof.

Try Vale Ale IPA for hop BANG

Jaded and Bitter said:
I had a six pack from Geelong a couple weeks back and it was better, but definately not the signature cascade and chinook bang of yesterday.

This I totally agree with, and why I went off it for a while. I think I posted earlier that I asked them had they changed the recipe, and while they say they haven't, they clearly have. I find it to more sessionable now though.

Latest posts

Back