Vale Little Creatures Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight Brew said:
When consumed straight from the bottle I always pick up a metallic taste maybe its from the bottle cap but I never get that from other craft beers.
Whilst I always pour to glass, I have had the metallic taste in many beers from time to time, including (but not limited to, due to my shithouse memory): LC's, Coopers, Squire's, Mountain Goat… and lots more.

I love LCPA (I'm on the east coast), I was in Perth late last year and had one on tap... wow. Much fresher and really reinvigorated my love for this beer.

off topic: Why does everyone hate on Fat Yak? I'm not as experienced as most here but I still enjoy it!

The LC bright beers used to have a best before of 9 months and the pale ale had a shelf life of 1 year, but this may have been changed recently. I also think it is likely that the pints are all still brewed in WA due to the bottling line there being set up for pints. Not sure they would have got the Geelong line spec'd for pints as well due to them not being a large amount of production.

And here I thought OP was announcing a Vale Ale/Little Creatures collab!

Have to agree that it doesn't seem to be what it used to be. But then, since I've gotten back into home brewing I've become a picky little bitch...

I've never been a fan of LCPA, I'll have to grab some more and try it again. I thought Fat Yak, when it come out, was fine. At pubs if there got an Tooheys old on tap I have one of those or the VB :)

Spiesy said:
Whilst I always pour to glass, I have had the metallic taste in many beers from time to time, including (but not limited to, due to my shithouse memory): LC's, Coopers, Squire's, Mountain Goat… and lots more.
Yeah what's with that??? I have noticed a metallic taste in many beers for as long as I can remember. there is no other way to describe it other than metallic... But that is not a descriptor I have found anywhere for aged or badly handled beers.

Moad said:
off topic: Why does everyone hate on Fat Yak?
Because it's shit.

Jokes… kind of… it can be really nice, it can be very ordinary - over the past few years I have unfortunately had more "ordinary" than "really nice", which is a shame.

stakka82 said:
Yeah what's with that??? I have noticed a metallic taste in many beers for as long as I can remember. there is no other way to describe it other than metallic... But that is not a descriptor I have found anywhere for aged or badly handled beers.
I started a thread about it a while back… I've even found it on some imports. Weird. I have dug deeper and found descriptors, think "iron" or "blood" - similar vibe to metallic. Some people attribute it to some crystal malts, others certain hopping techniques - but it is strange that it afflicts so many different brews sometimes.
I've taken slabs back to the retailer due to it before…

Yeah I've definitely had it on imports before too... even the bigger international breweries. Tasted it in many different styles.

Like sucking on rusty nails.

When LC had a Q and A session online I asked them about the LCPA recipe and had it changed dramatically as I too used to love this beer but now find it very hit and miss and average at best. The response I got was 'my tastes had changed' and the recipe is still pretty much the same (different hops from time to time as people have suggested).

I put it down to me drinking more IPA's these days and finding it lacking in flavour.

It's still a good local beer, but I more opt for US beers when I am at the bottlo.

And yes, Fak Yak is horrible now for mine, makes me gag just thinking about it. Unless you get a fresh keg of it forget it....

It's still a good local beer, but I more opt for US beers when I am at the bottlo.
Really? You'd prefer an imported APA over a locally brewed APA?
I'm getting a little over drinking imports, particularly anything that's meant to display fresh hops. They just don't taste or smell as fresh (plus they often cost more).

Spiesy said:
Really? You'd prefer an imported APA over a locally brewed APA? I'm getting a little over drinking imports, particularly anything that's meant to display fresh hops. They just don't taste or smell as fresh (plus they often cost more).
Was only commenting on this to a mate recently.

I've been disappointed so many times by imported hoppy beers where either the hops are long gone or oxydation has ruined what's left.

Now spend my money on local beers, able to buy more of them and find they are far superior in terms of freshness.

Anyone ever had a bad Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from the Us? I haven't. Cheaper than many local six-packs too.

Spiesy said:
Really? You'd prefer an imported APA over a locally brewed APA? I'm getting a little over drinking imports, particularly anything that's meant to display fresh hops. They just don't taste or smell as fresh (plus they often cost more).
Yeah I do cause mainly I have tried most of the local beers I like available to me. Don't get me wrong, I love a hop hog or McLaren vale IPA, but I like variety and the bottlos I frequent seem to handle the beers well.

Feldon said:
Anyone ever had a bad Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from the Us? I haven't. Cheaper than many local six-packs too.
Bought 4 on friday that were dreadful. Tasted like beer left in the sun.
Fortunately the only time I've experienced it with this beer.

It's my go to beer, kinda like my default if I can't think of anything else. I buy quite a lot of it. Yeah the recipe has changed over the years but I still love it. Just roll with the changes. Had a fresh pint off the tap last night, sensational. My taste buds have change over the years but I still love Little Creatures, it's what got me into craft beer.

Perhaps it's an east coast v west coast thing in terms of freshness and handling.

Had to shake my head at the story last year of soemone enquiring about a small batch up the road from the brewery and were told that the shipment had to come back to WA from the distribution centre in Sydney or Melbourne!!

:icon_offtopic:

Sorry for the hijack - speaking of LC - what was the last Single Batch? Mr Obidiah? Any whispers of a new one soon...?

manticle said:
I know they change the hops on a semi-regular basis due to availability and other factors. I'd prefer chinook to galaxy for sure. Bit more bite maybe.
I agree this could explain the discrepency you have noticed. Have read a few articles about LCPA and over the years the hops combinations are not always the same. My first impression of this beer in 2006 was very impressive peach and citrus flavours. Shame if it has lost that oompf. Reminds me of theSierra nevada "southern harvest" which varies year to year depending on which hops are available.

I don't know... I started buying LCPA again after the recently consistent disappointment with the 4-pak Hop Hogs. Between LCPA and 4 Pines Pale, they are my 'fridge' beer. Can't be drinking Garage Project every day....

Latest posts

Back