Vacuum Sealer For Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a SINBO one which looks exactly like barls one (except for badging). Has worked flawlessly, seals foil bags (just ensure a smooth surface to join). They seal all bags and I don't find I use any as I just open and seal the orginal packing the hops come in. Only costed $65 on ebay
Vac Sealers are a great investment!!

Does anyone know where to get the foil vacuum seal bags from?

Thought it might be better to prevent any sunlight as well getting to the hops.

How important are foil bags if hops are stored in a freezer and *never* exposed to sunlight?
I got mine today, I guess hops could be wrapped in foil and the foil placed inside the vacuum bag.
Planning to divide my bulk (450 and 1000g) hops into "recipe size" packs.

In my eagerness, I thought "Why stop at hops?"
I recently got some spec. grains, enough for a few batches of oatmeal stout.
I need more oats (can get anywhere) but I had enough other ingredients, after making 1 batch already, for 3 more batches. I measured them into the Vacuum bags and sealed them up as "recipe packs". Just add base malt...
The leftover grains also got vac. sealed. I figure I can open the bags, use what I need, trim the end and reseal.
Am I the only one here anal enough to vac. pack grains?

Unit was $70 posted, and came with 20 (?) large bags and 4 rolls of 22cm bags.

edit: pics.
Vacsealer.jpg

VacPackMcStoot.jpg

Oops, sorry, forgot to resize pics.

MHB now vac packs his grain into barrier bags. But I guess you have to be careful not to suck up the dust. I am sure his machine prob cost 100+times more then yours though so it may not have that problem :p

I've started vac packing my spec grains

I just leave a generous amount of extra plastic when I seal the first time, and then I just trim the seal to open, and then reseal when I've taken another few hundred grams out

I'm going to be resealing hop bags anyway, so once I have the vac sealer out its no issue doing spec grains too

Back