Using other fruits in ciders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your signs of non fermentation are not real signs.
Might be all good and fine and I don't want to be a drama princess but take glass bottle bombs seriously, even if you get none in this batch.

Reviving an old thread with the end results.

I had about 5 bottle bombs out of about 30 stubbies. The carbonation was a tad high in the rest of them, but I couldn't tell if it was bottling early that caused it or the bad weather we had a few weeks back in Brisbane.

I had left a box full of this booze in the basement. I forgot the basement floods in heavy rainfall and forms a natural spring in the hill below the house.

So the box was on the other side of the room I'd left it in back in November, with a fine layer of limestone silt covering it. How many times it swam around the pool that forms down there is impossible to know, but the point is there were a few broken.

The taste?

Eh. Its OK. It isn't sweet or tart and it doesn't resemble the fruit that went into making it.

Its spicy and light. Also dry.

I'll try again when the next trees go into fruit but I think next time I will make a cider or applewine, wait for fermentation to finish, kill the yeast and add the fruit after fermentation to try to get the flavour better out of the final product.

All in all a good lesson.

If I have learnt anything it is that I hate bottling and have bought more kegs to avoid it at all costs.

I have one of the trees and the fruit tastes closer to a tomato than a cherry. Makes good jam.

Back