Using Coke As An Adjunct?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try just adding a little cola syrup to a glass of beer. Even though it won't be exactly the same at least it will give you some idea and if it is really crap then I wouldn't bother wasting ingredients and the time.

This reminds me of the XLR8 Alcoholic Cola from the late 90's. Anyone else remember it? frankly I thought it was rotten...

Well its been 5 weeks since I bottled this beer so its time for a proper taste test.

8477398963_34ac69d4a3.jpg

Appearance - Golden with a light fluffy head. Definitely more pale ale than amber ale in appearance

Aroma - Dank pine/citrus note from the hops with a slight grainy background. A definite caramel sweetness.

Flavour - Smooth mouthfeel. Nice Centennial hop flavour. Firm bitterness that lingers. Very drying on the palate that could be hops or the caffeine from the Coke. Slight caramel flavours but not over the top.

Overall - A nice pale ale. Not sure what the Coke bought to the table? The caramel could have been the Coke or the crystal. The drying palate could have been the Coke or the hops. It definitely doesn't showcase Coke but I would need to do a side by side with a 'Coke-less' version to really get a better picture.

I wouldn't expect the homebrew world will embrace using Coke as an adjunct but as far as novelty beers go its quite drinkable!

Stew

Latest posts

Back