Uses for all those Eclipse Mint tins?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
A beautiful piece of engineering but what a pity those Eclipse / Blitz (Aldi version) mints tins have to be chucked away.

I desperately needed a solution to a problem and Blitz mint tins to the rescue:

eclipse mints.jpg

I'll paint them with my terra cotta coating so they'll blend in.

Anyone successfully used Eclipse tins for anything remotely useful?

Should I stop worrying and get a real life?

Edit: is it a bit naff for a German company to register "Blitz" for one of their products? :unsure:

Good for carrying a couple of rollies on a fishing trip.

edited to save another warning point.

Handy housing for pocket headphone amps (if you're into that sort of nerdery)

Ducatiboy stu said:
You need to get out more
(but not to ALDI)

Actually, I bought a couple of heavy cast iron pots there yesterday plus a 20L stock pot.
The pots in particular could be used as ballast for a crane and come with a 5 year warranty.
My plan is to place raw items in the pots and cook them.
I may or may not use the stock pot exclusively for stock making.
Most likely not.

You're right, I should get out more. I'll go out and feed the kookaburras in half an hour.

I use my eclipse tins to hold mints and sometimes as a place to store screws and such if I am fixing something. I don't want him holes in my pocket.

Bribie G said:
You're right, I should get out more. I'll go out and feed the kookaburras in half an hour.
There's kookaburras nesting near my house who've taken to arcing up at first light.
You can come over and feed them to if you like. Preferably poison.

That reminds me, eclipse tins are good for storing pidgeon poison (aka lead slugs) as the .177's often come in tins that don't reclose anymore.

First world problem too, good $20 tins of slugs that are held shut with stickytape, wtf are you spossed to do to stop the other 499 slugs spilling in your bag after the first one?

Who has rubber bands nowadays? Like Drawing pins and safety pins they seem to have disappeared from daily life. Last time I entered a HB comp where I had to attach the entry form and fee to a bottle using a rubber band I had to go out and buy a bunch of asparagus. :huh:

edit; Thanks for that, tavas - brilliant - I'll get some drawing pins, safety pins and rubber bands and put them in labelled Blitz mints tins in my "box of useful things" so I'll always have them on hand :) :)

I have piles of rubber bands Australia Post nearly always put one around my mail.

I might invest in a few for annoying swmbo by flicking her with them. B)

Hair bands work for that, and the best thing is she pays for them.

AndThere'sAlwaysOneLayingAboutPunkin

I'm just impressed you can make rubber bands out of asparagus.

AlwaysLearninSomethinNewCam

I have thousands of rubber bands around the place.

But then i'm just some loser who works in an office. Didn't realise there was a shortage

Latest posts

Back