Use These For Bottling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
As the water from the tap is not brew worthy I have been using those 12 litre water containers bought from safeway. Today I saw the frantelle water 24 packs of 600ml plastic bottles (with red caps). I was thinking of using the water from these to brew and then use the bottles for bottling?

Can I bottle my beer into these 600ml bottles?

Also, if so, after putting the beer in the bottle can I just screw on the red cap they come with back on tightly or will secondary conditioning not work / the beer get infected if I use these 'already broken' caps?

Thanks!

As the water from the tap is not brew worthy I have been using those 12 litre water containers bought from safeway. Today I saw the frantelle water 24 packs of 600ml plastic bottles (with red caps). I was thinking of using the water from these to brew and then use the bottles for bottling?

Can I bottle my beer into these 600ml bottles?

Also, if so, after putting the beer in the bottle can I just screw on the red cap they come with back on tightly or will secondary conditioning not work / the beer get infected if I use these 'already broken' caps?
Thanks!

I think the issue will be is they are not designed for pressure and will warp their shape.

Yep, sometimes these water bottles get frozen in the back of our fridge and the base gets pushed out by the ice expansion. Of course then they won't stand up. The plastic on some of these bottles seems a bit flimsy compared to soft drink bottles so not sure how they would handle the pressure either.

i wouldnt, they arent designed to hold pressure...

wouldnt cause much damage except to the eyes!!! Not as much as glass water bottles that arent designed for pressure...

Just echoing what others have mentioned. It's like a milk carton vs a PET bottle. The milk carton cracks and the PET bottle expands a little but is made to withstand pressure.

Maybe you can use them for harvesting yeast instead?

Does this not beg the question of why the OP thinks Melbourne tap water is not brew-worthy? From all accounts, it's fine. Or am I missing something?

Yep, sometimes these water bottles get frozen in the back of our fridge and the base gets pushed out by the ice expansion. Of course then they won't stand up. The plastic on some of these bottles seems a bit flimsy compared to soft drink bottles so not sure how they would handle the pressure either.

I've seen this happen. A mate of mine put down an ESB in a 3L Berri juice bottle. Chucked it in the freezer to chill it down so we could taste it, and forgot about it. He went to the freezer to get some ice, and the bottle rolled out of the freezer, onto the floor and shot beer slushie all over his kitchen floor. Funny though.

Maybe the OP is chasing a special water profile to match hard water to make a Pilsner? Who knows ^_^

I heve tried using them for bottling - they did expand a huge amount.

Beyond the bottles not being suitable to being put under pressure and while it can generally be avoided, hops does not like any exposure to sunlight.

Best protection is offered by dark brown bottles, followed by green bottles as they stop some of the UV light from affecting the hops.

Clear bottles can be used if you can ensure that they are not exposed to sunlight for more than 1-2 hours.

If you want to experiment, get a strongly hopped beer in a clear bottle and leave it direct sun light for 2 hours. Open it up and get ready for a really foul odor.
Carlton Cold and other commercial beers in clear bottles use hop extracts which have next to no aroma to get around the volatility that hops suffers from when exposed to UV light.

Back