Us-05 Yeast In Cervesa At 14c

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DzRBenson

Reaction score
Hi All

Well this is the first time im using a Swamp Cooler for a brew and this one is sitting at 14c, just wondering if this is to low, Im using trial and error to get it going, and the air lock appears to be bubbling.

I am working on a good ice combo, to get it to around 16-18c, but wondering if this will hurt anything

Is the gravity dropping?

14c is a bit too low, you could cause it to stall. 17c is fine... once it's been fermenting a few days lift the temp up to 20c to 23c to finish.

cheers ross

Thanks for that, if it does stall is it just a matter of rising the emp again?

14c is a bit too low, you could cause it to stall. 17c is fine... once it's been fermenting a few days lift the temp up to 20c to 23c to finish.

cheers ross

You'll prolly find if it stalls you'll need to rouse the yeast up a little as well a bring the temp up, failing that, racking to another FV ensuring that you take some yeast with it should do the trick. Worst case, rack and re-pitch

Another option is to pitch some Nottingham as well, i've had Notto still plugging away at 12 degrees (inadvertently - and yes it was a surprise). Then after a few days let it drift up to mid / late teens to finish off.

Thanks for that, if it does stall is it just a matter of rising the emp again?

Should not need rerousing, US-05 will kick off again quite happily with some warmth.

Cheers Ross

and the air lock appears to be bubbling.

Trust your hydrometer, the bubbles from the airlock actually mean very little, if your Hydrometer readings are getting lower then you still have an active fermentation and this is what you should be looking for with your readings...

as above for temps.. 14 is a bit low for US-05 but I know a few people who like to use it at about 16'c.. personally I go for about 18 and 'usually' have no issues.. if you raise the temps and still get no drop in your hydrometer readings then you can always (sanitise first) give it a bit of a stir up (gently).. re-suspending the yeast and raising temps 'should' work for you if they have just gone to sleep...

But as Ross says you may not even need to do this...

so raise temps first.. few days.. if no action still then try the stir.. few days.. if still no action re-pitch a fresh yeast.

Hope this helps

I used US-05 at 14 for a fake lager and it went crazy! I just upped the temp after the first 3 days and it finished nice and clean.

Back