Us-05 Vs 1056

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Hi there,

Is it worth slanting and culturing Wyeast 1056 or is US-05 just as good with the convenience of being a dried yeast.

The cost is not the big determining factor - rather the quality and the messing about involved - does one outway the other?

Cheers

Phil

My thoughts are yes for liquid yeasts. Dry yeasts are relatively cheap hence just as easy to keep a sample of slurry or just buy another packet. Liquid yeast being a bit more costly I reckon slant them.

I have only used 1056 so far in my golden ale (first AG).

2c.

My understanding is that dry yeasts will not attenuate as well as a liquid yeast.

I used to use 1056 but have switched to 1272 I like it better.

my 1c

+1.

I used the 1056 liquid for my first few batches of ales. Swapped to the 1272 ... much better ... (sorry can't exactly explain why).

From one $14-00 Smack-pack I get anywhere from 6 to 8 brews.

Much prefer the liquid, which works out cheaper (from re-using) than the dried yeast (which I wouldn't re-use).

Much prefer the liquid, which works out cheaper (from re-using) than the dried yeast (which I wouldn't re-use).

Why wouldnt you re-use the dry the same way you re-use the liquid? or are you using slants or dividing a big initial starter? i reckon its fine too re-use as long as its healthy, sanitation yada yada

Is it worth slanting and culturing Wyeast 1056 or is US-05 just as good with the convenience of being a dried yeast.

I think the key issue here is that 1056 and US_05 are the same breed of yeast. Zymurgy(I think) did a side-by-side review of these 2, and the conclusion was that there wasn't much too choose from, each had strengths and waeknesses - so, pick whichever is easiest for you.

Why wouldnt you re-use the dry the same way you re-use the liquid? or are you using slants or dividing a big initial starter? i reckon its fine too re-use as long as its healthy, sanitation yada yada

Not something that was ever considered by me through learning how to brew or mentioned as a possibility by those I was learning from. Also read on this site that it's not recommended re-using dry yeast.

The liquid has always been noted as the pinnacle of yeast, and there's a huge range to select from. Where I have an option, I would always use the liquid.

Back