US-05 Favourite fermentation temperature?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been brewings Argons little fellas pale ale for a while now using US-05. I find the beer has a very fruity taste that seems to get stronger with age. its not unleasant, just unwelcome. I fermented at 18 initaially, then droped to 17. I might ferment the next one at 15 to eliminate the yeast. I havent had the chance to sit down and research what else the isssue might be so i couldnt eliminate mashing temps or anything else.

I used to run US05 at 17degC in the hope of getting a clean ferment, often followed by a bump at up at end for cleanup. For the last few brews however I have been fermenting at 19degC (+/- 0.3degC) and the results seem much better. Ester profile is still very clean, ferments out much quicker, less diacetyl. To me 19degC seems like the sweet spot.

Any where between 18c and 20c has always worked well for me (fridge is usually set closer to 18c).

paulmclaren11 said:
Any where between 18c and 20c has always worked well for me (fridge is usually set closer to 18c).
I set my fridge to 18 and tape the probe to the outside of the fermenter, I'm guessing wort temp is closer to 20, ferments fast and clean for me, 10 days grain to brain is awesome.

I agree 18 to 20c is a good range for this yeast. It's the range I use, and it leaves a very clean neutral profile.

I seriously doubt it is this yeast specifically which is giving you the fruity taste as your beer ages. US05 is one of the most neutral yeasts in use.

I wonder if dropping the temperature too far might be giving you insufficient initial growth, and therefore stressing your yeast?
Stressed yeast could lead to undesirable esters and flavours etc.

Back