Us 05 Alright To Leave It Primary A Little Longer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
I made my first ag using US 05 and there was a fair bit of trub still in the brew when I bottled it. I was wondering if I could leave the beer in primary for a couple of extra days to allow the yeast to settle out more? or would this be a bad idea?

thanks in advance

It'll be fine as long as you don't have rediculous temps. How long exactly are you thinking of? I've had no issues with alot of yeasts for up to a month.

I made my first ag using US 05 and there was a fair bit of trub still in the brew when I bottled it. I was wondering if I could leave the beer in primary for a couple of extra days to allow the yeast to settle out more? or would this be a bad idea?

thanks in advance
Impossible to giva a good answer when so little detail in the question, for a start how long did you leave it this time? Do you crash chill, gelatine or fine in any way?
US05 sometimes needs a little help to floc out. I wouldn't bottle until 14 days but I also crash chill and gelatine anything I am bottling.
Cheers
Nige

I leave mine about 10 - 14 days, but then again I keg and leave it to condition in the kegs for a few weeks. FG is always down to minimum, don't really worry about it not clearing completely, although after the conditioning it usually does. :beerbang:

I had a batch that looked like Murray water after being at 0 for 4 days. I loved us05 for kits & extracts but I reckon if I'm putting in the effort to brew ag then a couple of dollars extra for liquid yeast is money well spent. I'm sure there are blokes who will disagree but my beers with liquid yeast have turned out way better than the ones with dry yeast.

yeah I was thinking something in the way of two days to one week in the brewing fridge @ 20C. I used to do it with the coopers tin yeast which worked well was a bit unsure with us 05. I would love to go to liquid yeast but it's a bit hard to justify spending the money when I can't split the packs :S

I had to go away and left a stout in primary for 8 weeks total with no problem if that is any help. It turned out one of my better efforts, though being a stout don't know how clear it was. :p

yeah I was thinking something in the way of two days to one week in the brewing fridge @ 20C. I used to do it with the coopers tin yeast which worked well was a bit unsure with us 05. I would love to go to liquid yeast but it's a bit hard to justify spending the money when I can't split the packs :S

Leaving it this long at 20c after terminal gravity has been reached will be fine. Although, if it's in a fridge you could also drop the temperature down to help with flocculation.

Latest posts

Back