Uni Of Ballarat - Brewing Short Course

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering taking the first step to see if brewing is my thing, not just as a hobby.

I have found this short course:
http://www.ballarat.edu.au/ard/sci-eng/ ... scmb.shtml

It's not cheap and I will be travelling from Brisbane to do it.

Has anyone else completed this course? If so what are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Wade

You're right, it is expensive, but it does look interesting.

Maybe a cheaper alternative is do go something like the following:
http://www.vlepub.sa.edu.au/xml/courses/Co...T547022947.aspx

I attended this some months ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus got a $200 discount due to a government initiative in place at the time - not sure if still applicable?

It is over 3x Wed evenings & 3x Saturdays, hence probable only good for locals (considering travel, etc).

Is there a similar course near where you are situated?

2c.

Cheers!

There is a TAFE course over about 6 weeks here in Melbourne that was run a few times last year. I'm pretty sure a few people on here attended. Hoping that it runs this year (i have my name down to do it)!

Cheers

SJ

Why not try the IBD exams.

http://www.ibdasiapac.com.au

They are by correspondence (study at your own pace) , there pricing is comparable (if not cheaper) than Ballarat and IBD qualification is internationally recognised. They usually hold exams Bi-annually in Sydney and Melbourne as well.

Cheers
Geoff

Has anybody seen a version of these courses around Brisbane or the gold coast?

Thunderchild, I have not seen any in QLD at all. No TAFE, no nothing.

The IBD one looks OK but I would rather learn with others and do all the tours and tasting with others.

Yes and worth every cent
As is the IGB training

MHB

Did this course last year, it is excellent. Has four solid days of study including everything from malting, hops, fermentation, yeast health, etc. 1 Day of brewery tours

Guest speakers from the industry, experts on hop cultivation, post fermentation processes, malting. It also included a number of practical sessions including a hands on brew session with their 600 HL brewery.

Lots of pracs on beer faults and sensorary perception. If you decide to do it book early, it is quite sought after. The cost also included accomodation on campus, which I highly recomend doing, as the campus has the best beer fridge in Australia!!!! (people who have done the course will know!)

:icon_cheers:

daryl5412 Posted Today, 04:12 PM
Lots of pracs on beer faults and sensorary perception. If you decide to do it book early, it is quite sought after. The cost also included accomodation on campus, which I highly recomend doing, as the campus has the best beer fridge in Australia!!!! (people who have done the course will know!)

I was standing out side on night, (poisoning my self) near the pile of empty bottles we had accumulated
A wandering security guard asked me who are you guys?
Brewers I replied
A rather bemused You know you drink more than the students do I didnt think that was possible

Years of practice pays off

MHB

I was lucky enough to do the course in 2007.

All of the comments above are spot on (including the best beer fridge in Australia). You also get to meet a lot of like minded folks, a lot of whom are already in the industry.

The other alternative would be to apply for the Graduate Certificate - it's over 2 years and is done mainly by correspondance. I'm halfway through right now and it really is good.

The comments about self study and IBD are also good, mind you I just need the extra motivation of a more structured course to get my lazy arse into gear.

Trev

Latest posts

Back