understanding RA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a read of the paper you done Manticle and have to say that it makes things much easier , For me anyway, To understand. Will read several times tough i imagine.
Ok so first question . It says that there is a 0.35 shift in pH from mash temp. to room temp. being lower at mash temp. from what i gather your pH reading should always be at room temp. No?

Second question. I was playing around in braukaiser and noticed that when i added Epsom salts to raise the sulfate that it had quite an effect on the magnesium. Can the sulfate be raised with out raising the Mg level?

Again thanks for directing me to the paper.

1. It is usually recommended to measure at room temp. I'd have to refresh my memory on why but there is an actual change in pH with a change in temperature so worth understanding the difference.

2. Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate. You can use gypsum (calcium sulphate) to boost both calcium and sulphate at the same time which is what I use. You may also be able to find zinc sulphate salts MHB might have further info on that (I remember he had some zinc chloride available when he ran his shop).

Ok thanks i will do some searching about temp. changes.

I just noticed that gypsum also changed the sulfate think i will start with that first and see how things progress.

Thanks.

When you see a common name like gypsum, epsom salt, salt or chalk, it will be better to find the chemical name to find out what it will affect.

Gypsum = calcium sulphate
Epsom salts= magnesium sulphate
Chalk = calcium carbonate
Bicarb soda = sodium bicarbonate
Salt (table salt) = sodium chloride

Manticle covered most of what needed saying
Be careful of Zn it's a trace element never treat it as a "water chemistry" addition in respect to pH.
Iron, Copper, Manganese, Phosphorous... are all absolutely necessary but like Zn in very small amounts Zn, Fe and Cu will in anything other than trace amounts make the beer taste pretty bad (metallic)
Virtually all the trace elements are provided by the malt - the exception being Zn. Malt grown in Australia and Australian soil/water are all low in Zn (causal) so it might be worth adding a TOUCH of Zn but we are talking less than 1ppm in most cases.
Mark

That touch can be found in a quality nutrient like wyeast yeast nutrient.

I have a lot information to study up on now , Thanks to both of you, to keep me busy for quite a while :)
I can see why it is important to learn the chemical names as it gives a lot of information to what it contains and what it will effect.
Was going to ask about the wyeast nutrient but no need to now.

Again thanks to both of you for all the help in pointing me in the right direction now i just got to read up and put some of it to use to see the effects it has on my beers.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back