Uk Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
I've got some new hops from Ross. First Gold & Bramling Cross.

So far I've found this -

BRAMLING CROSS Class: Aroma Tall

Origin and Production
Bred from a crossing in 1927, by Professor Salmon at Wye, of a Bramling (one of the traditional Golding varieties) with a male seedling of the Manitoban (Canadian) wild hop This variety, with its good yields, early ripening, tolerance to wilt and some resistance to mildews, gave many growers in Kent a good hop to start the picking season. Its very distinctive American aromas made it less attractive to brewers :) (hot dogs and Coca~Cola?), but its special characteristics are now arousing increased interest again for speciality beers Grown principally in Kent and Sussex

Brewing Character
Often used as a general-purpose kettle hop for a smallish proportion of the hop grist However, of late the variety has also been used to provide special fruity, blackcurrant and lemon notes in traditional ales, especially in Christmas ales. If used as a late hop or dry hop, the effect on the final beer flavour can be very interesting This is an under- appreciated hop which can give the brewer considerable scope for experiment
http://www.hops.co.uk/sectionfour/BramlingCross.htm

FIRST GOLD Class: Tall

Origin and Production
First Gold is a dwarf hop, bred at HRI-Wye, from a cross-pollination of WGV (http://www.hops.co.uk/sectionfour/WGV.htm) with a dwarf male. It has a very attractive aroma which some liken to Goldings but with a higher alpha content than traditional aroma hops. First Gold crops with a large number of medium sized cones and yields well on the trial sites. Reasonable tolerance to Verticillium wilt seems to have been inherited from its WGV parent.

Brewing Character
Early brewing trials indicate that First Gold is an extremely exciting prospect. The variety is very suitable as a general kettle hop and also for late and dry hopping in all types of beer. First Gold has excellent aroma qualities and much of the flavour of WGV seems to have been retained, producing a well-balanced bitterness and a fruity, slightly spicy note in ales. Considerable areas of First Gold are being planned and there is significant interest already from Britains traditional ale brewers.

http://www.hops.co.uk/sectionfour/FirstGold.htm

Well, after reading these I'm as excited as an accountant with a large receipt.
I can't wait to brew with them over the weekend :D

Anyone got any tips for using these hops???????
Before Craftbrewer.com.au I was a real stick in the mud with hops :super:

My grain bill has generally been along the lines of:
Pale Ale Malt 6 kg 88 %
Wheat Malt 0.4 kg 6 %
CaraMunich II 0.4 kg 6 %

I either use Windsor and CPA yeast, or good old Nottingham.

I've got some new hops from Ross. First Gold & Bramling Cross.

So far I've found this -

BRAMLING CROSS Class: Aroma Tall

Origin and Production
Bred from a crossing in 1927, by Professor Salmon at Wye, of a Bramling (one of the traditional Golding varieties) with a male seedling of the Manitoban (Canadian) wild hop This variety, with its good yields, early ripening, tolerance to wilt and some resistance to mildews, gave many growers in Kent a good hop to start the picking season. Its very distinctive 'American' aromas made it less attractive to brewers :) (hot dogs and Coca~Cola?), but its special characteristics are now arousing increased interest again for speciality beers Grown principally in Kent and Sussex

Brewing Character
Often used as a general-purpose kettle hop for a smallish proportion of the hop grist However, of late the variety has also been used to provide special fruity, blackcurrant and lemon notes in traditional ales, especially in Christmas ales. If used as a late hop or dry hop, the effect on the final beer flavour can be very interesting This is an under- appreciated hop which can give the brewer considerable scope for experiment
http://www.hops.co.uk/sectionfour/BramlingCross.htm

FIRST GOLD Class: Tall

Origin and Production
First Gold is a dwarf hop, bred at HRI-Wye, from a cross-pollination of WGV (http://www.hops.co.uk/sectionfour/WGV.htm) with a dwarf male. It has a very attractive aroma which some liken to Goldings but with a higher alpha content than traditional aroma hops. First Gold crops with a large number of medium sized cones and yields well on the trial sites. Reasonable tolerance to Verticillium wilt seems to have been inherited from its WGV parent.

Brewing Character
Early brewing trials indicate that First Gold is an extremely exciting prospect. The variety is very suitable as a general kettle hop and also for late and dry hopping in all types of beer. First Gold has excellent aroma qualities and much of the flavour of WGV seems to have been retained, producing a well-balanced bitterness and a fruity, slightly spicy note in ales. Considerable areas of First Gold are being planned and there is significant interest already from Britain's traditional ale brewers.

http://www.hops.co.uk/sectionfour/FirstGold.htm

Well, after reading these I'm as excited as an accountant with a large receipt.
I can't wait to brew with them over the weekend :D

Anyone got any tips for using these hops???????
Before Craftbrewer.com.au I was a real stick in the mud with hops :super:

My grain bill has generally been along the lines of:
Pale Ale Malt 6 kg 88 %
Wheat Malt 0.4 kg 6 %
CaraMunich II 0.4 kg 6 %

I either use Windsor and CPA yeast, or good old Nottingham.

I really like First Gold. I had a few beers hopped with this on a recent trip to England, and I've used in two since I got back, both of which are very tasty.

I used it in combination with Progress, once for bittering and once for flavour.

I can't describe properly all the characteristics it gave, but it suits an English pale ale type beer very nicely.

Nice. I like pale ales.
Can you remember the names of the beers in the UK?

Tangent, as you probably know, if you want to know what BC tastes like, get your hands on some Ruddles County. :chug:

I've got some in the freezer waiting their turn in the brew queue. Once you've perfected the recipe, can you just pm it to me. :lol:

The bloke who did the Mac brewing software gave me all these UK recipes but most of the UK beers I've tried here have tasted old and past it. So to be honest my experience with UK beers is sadly limited other than Fullers ESB. Even if it is past it, that's a nice beer.

Nice. I like pale ales.
Can you remember the names of the beers in the UK?

St Peter's Suffolk Gold was one. I think it might stray into the 'golden ale' class but it was really nice whichever way you look at it, as were pretty much all of their beers...

As to the others, not sure, I had a lot of beers on the trip :)

The Youngs Golden Zest might have had it, but I can't be sure...

The more golden ale style is quite popular there at the moment...

Edit. Just saw your second post. Fullers London Pride sometimes seems to get also here Ok. Sadly many UK beers don't travel well but as more and more breweries there are expanding their bottled range this may change...

Back