TUN's back

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Tun 4.9.jpg

Suddenly appeared in BWS this week for $37 for a 30 can slab - and it's a different brew.
The old one (that I haven't seen around for a couple of years) was brewed in the USA and was a bit feral.
It was 5%

The new version is 4.9% and brewed and canned in Belgium. :excl:
Not much hops but uber smooth with a trace of almost whisky in the finish.
Clean bitter finish and none of the skunk you'd get from VB (that's obviously the target audience)
sinking a couple, not bad for the price and shytes all over Rivet Lager.

Even Manticle might like this one :p

Here's the old one:

tun.jpg

Aha Kingy, perfect example of somebody dismissing a beer based solely on brand perception, despite it being a quite different formulation.

Not having a shot at you but that's how commerce operates, and how companies pull the brands con.
Hundreds of examples such as Colgate now made in Thailand while millions believe that it's a product that pours out of God's arse.

Also in the brewing world, establish a brand with some cachet such as Hahn then progressively gut it whilst bludging on the persisting mirage that it's a superior product.

In the current case they have actually upped the quality of an existing brand. I think that Pinnacle Brands who are Woolies and do the imports for Dans etc are concentrating on improving the range and quality of offerings, according to trade mags.
Cheers.

Trouble with your headline is that Tun's back - when was it ever here?
I'll give it a crack if I see it about a bottle shop.

The 4% red and 3% gold are always at Woolies but the Green hasn't been available for a year or so.

Once bitten....
I'll only try it if you post me one.

Honest review promised - you know I'm not part of the upper echelon of beer snobs.

I say brave move buying 30 cans Bribie, I had one, well more like half a can of the old tun and wouldn't have even looked at it in the shops. May be worth a try as I'm struggling to think of a Belgian beer I haven't enjoyed.
I remember touring the boags brewery years ago and they were turning out Tasman bitter which I think was an exclusive for liqourland if I remember correctly, I asked the guy if it was a special recipe or anything and the answer was that it was more or less the left overs or a blend of them as such and it could be pretty much anything from the boags product range as they didn't have a set recipe or formulation stipulated in the contract only an ABV to hit!

Bribie G said:
sinking a couple, not bad for the price and shytes all over Rivet Lager.
Not exactly a glowing recommendation. How does it compare to Oettinger?

manticle said:
Once bitten....
I'll only try it if you post me one.

Honest review promised - you know I'm not part of the upper echelon of beer snobs.
Yea I tried the last version as a mate was buying it bcoz it was cheap and it was the worst beer I've ever tasted.
I usually put corona as the worst ever beer tasted but I forgot about the tun. It's pretty bad.
Note: that's only my opinion and if someone else wants to drink it, I respect that.
I'm not a beer snob either
I have been known to buy xxxx and great northern. I also love throwing down a couple of my old mans tooheys blue that he buys all the time.
But that tun is definately not for me.

Kingy said:
Yea I tried the last version as a mate was buying it bcoz it was cheap and it was the worst beer I've ever tasted.
Big, fat ditto.
I'll give it a second chance on the proviso outlined but my first experience of it was undrinkable. I tried 'cos it was free. Tried, failed, bought premix bourbon and coke instead.

I'm actually genuinely interested in your opinion of this new one mants.

Tried Fosters from Dans a few months ago and, for the price, highly acceptable.

My fave cheap swill in Tas was Boags Draught, but in Qld it's as expensive as Coopers Pale.

I tried a few of these a few weeks ago, it's not bad for the price IMO but seemed a bit watery.

Back