Trying To Play .avi Files In My Dvd Player

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
Yes, another question about DVDs.

I have .avi files on my computer, however my DVD players cannot play .avi files. How can I play with the files so that they can play on my DVD player?

Cheers,
Dave

I have a DVD player that is specifically designed to play compressed video, but even then it's only if converted to divx format.

I don't know if regular players can do .avi.

Dave - I direct play avi's and other files direct from my laptop with a AV pluggy from laptop to DVD Player / TV AV inputs.

Is this an option for you?

you need to convert the avi file to a dvd.

track down a torrent of a program caled "convertx2dvd".

you can just install, start the program, drag the file in, press "convert" and it will convert the file & burn it onto a dvd for you in about 30mins or so (depending on Computer).

Jez

Dave - I direct play avi's and other files direct from my laptop with a AV pluggy from laptop to DVD Player / TV AV inputs.

Is this an option for you?

My output is HDMI, and I don't have the necessary cable. While it is an option, I don't want to have to drag my laptop over to the TV every time I want to watch my files on TV.

you need to convert the avi file to a dvd.

track down a torrent of a program caled "convertx2dvd".

you can just install, start the program, drag the file in, press "convert" and it will convert the file & burn it onto a dvd for you in about 30mins or so (depending on Computer).

Jez

Hmm, sounds interesting. adbot free?

My output is HDMI, and I don't have the necessary cable. While it is an option, I don't want to have to drag my laptop over to the TV every time I want to watch my files on TV.

Hmm, sounds interesting. adbot free?

none

your dvd player has to be able to play divx files for it to play .avi files. otherwise you have to convert avi files to something else that your dvd player will play which is a PITA.

most cheap dvd players play divx. it will have a little logo on the front of the dvd player to tell you if it does.

I have the same and it is way easier than converting and burning every time you want to watch something.

I only have a few things I want to burn (I'm not a crazy downloader, I buy DVDs when they are available), so for my uses it's easier to have a disc sitting in my DVD wallet.

I don't want to have to drag my laptop over to the TV every time I want to watch my files on TV.

Wow, that's lazy.

How about an old PC and install wireless connectivity (OR use your modem/router if it's capable of wireless), then you can configure a network to your main storage drive, and have the old PC connected to your TV permanently.

Latest posts

Back