Tropical Wort Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz and others,
Another apology,
Didnt read the second page of the posts before shooting my mouth off with another question and an observation that was obvious.
Just another result of going out on a Sat night and coming home topped up.
disregard my last post and I hope that i talk more sence in the morning.
B B B.

Johnno - 3 and 4 ring burners are reasonably common in Perth - Army Surplus stores and non-chain Camping shops seem to have them. I got a 3 ring burner with a stand for around $45 IIRC; the 4 ring was about $10 more....

I think I've gott a photo somewhere here (don't go away)..... its not that good a shot, but you get the idea.

05_01_2003_07.jpg

As I said Johnno the wort is at sparge temperture already , and I think it was about 10 min. to full boil , no more , and it was a 33Lt boil.
I will time it next time , I did mean to do it last AG ,but so much was going on I did'nt even consider that
Batz

i got a four ring burner, then bought an adjustable regulater. This thing is the bee's knee, it gives me a boil in no time.

Any pictures Wedge? I think I need to upgrade from the three ring, and having gone wrong once, want to make sure I get something proven next time.

Adjustable regulator ? That just an acetylene gauge ?
Wondering about buying one for work for this :blink: :blink:

The four ring burner I use had to be modified a little , the lugs things that your keg sits on , well , I needed to grind off down the side.
Give it a smaller diameter if you get my drift , the keg sits snug now with these lugs inside the botton lip.

Pics if you want them

Guest Lurker, I have some buddies with 3 ring burners (I have one too) and they boil 50L batches no worries. Do you create much of a wind shield? This can whip away your heat really quickly. I'm very happy with my 3 ring, it cranks in my opinion.

I'm not sure how these burners would go with a high pressure reg though (acetylene reg) as I don't think they are designed to use one, I'd be interested to see how it goes though. One of my other mates uses an acetylene reg converted to power one of the king cooker kind of burners, works great.

On the chiller side of things, I use 3/8" (10mm) copper tubing to great effect. It actually beats my mates 1/2" chiller (we had a race :) ) and they are approximately the same length. The price difference for me was $3.30/meter for 3/8" and $5/meter for 1/2". There is no great restriction in water flow in the smaller pipe, it takes as much water as I can squeeze through it and the flow rate is much more than is needed. Both sizes work great.

These are my thoughts.

Cheers, JD

i would steer clear of an acetylene reg and buy a purpose lpg reg.

the lpg regulator looks just like this.picture is a bit lousy tho.too much flash

lpg_reg_003.jpg

A three ring burner is enough, you just need a high pressure regulator. The regulator you get with your gas bottle is good enough for BBQs etc but not for heating over 20L of wort.

I use the outside and middle rings to get the wort to boiling point (20-30mins) then just use the middle ring to keep the wort boiling

Paid $35 I think for the high pressure regulator.

Jovial monk

Maxbilt
30 Buelah Rd
Norwood

These guys sell lpg regulators in Adelaide for $40.00.

TDA

Batz, what temp did you manage to get the brew to with your icy chiller? I can get to about 25 with perth tap water ... need to build me one of these too.

Latest posts

Back