Tap cocktail through icebank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,
I've got a tapped spritz cocktail that i'm running through a Celli icebank chiller. I've got the PSI set to 50 as thats pretty good for my sparkling water(Not through the icebank). Seems to stay quite flat and i'm wondering if its becuase the length of the coil through the icebank it will need to be set a lot higher?

Hi there,
I've got a tapped spritz cocktail that i'm running through a Celli icebank chiller. I've got the PSI set to 50 as thats pretty good for my sparkling water(Not through the icebank). Seems to stay quite flat and i'm wondering if its becuase the length of the coil through the icebank it will need to be set a lot higher?
Is the keg itself warm? You will need much higher pressures to get the CO2 dissolved into a warm keg.

E.g. beers I serve at 10-12psi in a kegerator often go up to 30psi+ when serving from a warm keg through a jockey box just to maintain the carbonation level.

I don't think setting it much higher will be good for you. Instead, try have a few feet of coil after the ice bank so that the bubbles have time to go back into suspension. That would be a better bet imo.

Carbonated soft drinks usually have 6-8g/L of dissolved CO2.
You need to know the temperature you hold your beverage at to determine the amount of carbon dioxide that will be dissolved at a given pressure.
The "Carbonation Tables" on Braukaiser are pretty good. I work in g/L (the metric alternative) as opposed to the outdated Volumes and PSI but there are tables for all.
Let’s say you want 7g/L in a keg that is stored in the fridge at 5oC
1700053214040.png

You can see that you would need ~165kPa (~24PSI); at 25oC (off the table, but from the equation) you would need just over 400kPa (58PSI). Most home regulators to put at around 400kPa max.

It’s a bit harder than just getting the drink cold, you will need to keep it cold all the way to the tap and if you aren’t drawing reasonably often you will still have breakout (bubbles) problems.
The best answer is to put highly carbonated beverages in the fridge.
Mark

I don't think people are quite understanding the question being asked.
He has already carbonated his champagne, and wants to serve it, presumably at events. But he is finding that it becomes flat after running through the ice chiller. Unfortunately, beer equipment isn't designed to keep these higher levels of carbonation - here is a youtube video that discusses this specific problem. His recommendation is to bottle if you can.

since that is not an option. You can either, run longer line after the icebank (may or may not work), or, go to different markets and find one of the operators who are already doing what you want to do, and have a peak behind the hood. There are "prosecco carts" you can hire for weddings and stuff, so maybe just calling one of them to ask the question is the fastest way.

Latest posts

Back