Trolls And Other Furry Animals.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beers said:
i've only recently found this forum & although i've found it to be a great resource comments like this: "Must be time for a snob all grain versus dump and stir fermentation assistant thread." sure do make it seem like "elitism or kit vs AG or salaried men vs the great unwashed"
I think you'll find that comment was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek. :)

MCWB said:
beers said:
i've only recently found this forum & although i've found it to be a great resource comments like this: "Must be time for a snob all grain versus dump and stir fermentation assistant thread." sure do make it seem like "elitism or kit vs AG or salaried men vs the great unwashed"
I think you'll find that comment was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek. :)
[post="50202"][/post]​

I think you will also find that once you have spent a bit longer reading this phorum and getting to know some of the posters, you will realise that the person who posted that phrase is one of the most experienced and helpful people around here and will regret leaping to conclusions.

Bloody hell Chiller. I've got a gut feeling that this thread has turned into the sort of post you were complaing about, gooing round and round in circles with not much to do with beer. A little ironic that you're sick of trolling, but seem to have caught loads with this new lure.

Cheers
MAH

mmmmm hope im not turning into a troll.i am a bit hairy on the face.
anyway im gonna get it back to beer by agreeing with stagger.time for a beer.a nice cold beer. :chug:

cya
big d

MAH said:
Bloody hell Chiller. I've got a gut feeling that this thread has turned into the sort of post you were complaing about, gooing round and round in circles with not much to do with beer. A little ironic that you're sick of trolling, but seem to have caught loads with this new lure.

Cheers
MAH
[post="50208"][/post]​

You are absolutely right MAH.

Dane, I've probably wasted too much bandwith with this as it appears only a few people understood what I actually meant.

On this forum there are some wonderfully experienced brewers and beer makers who contribute excellent sound advise. The posting rates from those people drop off rapidly though when the threads are hijacked after only a few further posts. That I suppose is one of my biggest beefs really -- it is possibly one of the most off putting thing for a new forum member to post a question and have the discussion degenerate quickly into nothing like his or her post.

Just as an aside. Pint of Lager doesn't need me to defend her as a person or brewer but I want to say this.

Never ever consider her or any of the all grain brewers as elitist in any way. Because we choose to brew beer in the manner we do doesn't make us "better" it makes our beer techniques and processes different and unless you have done an all grain brew and have an understanding of the whole process you really don't understand the passion we have for this obssession called beer. There appears to be a few Kit beer makers that get bent out of shape believing all grainers think they are better than the rest. Not true. We are different because of the way we make beer. The methods - equipment and knowledge that comes with controlling all aspects of the brewday. We are though no better, no worse.

I'm a bit like Barry I don't have a clue with kits. You will very rarely see me comment on that subject. The only can opener I have doesn't work correctly anyway. I actually believe it is much harder to make a great beer from a kit than all grain and when a kit beer is made to the best it can be, it is a credit to the maker. With all grain it is so much simpler [and complex at the same time] because you control all aspects of the brewing process.

I find the "them and us" very unhealthy because most of the brewers on the forum started at the same level.

I don't like division but equally cannot tolerate time wasting posts. The PM is a wonderful
feature of the forum, if you think I can help you at anytime and you want my opinion please PM me.

Steve.

PS Batz --- now you mention it I was a bit out of soughts when I woke up this morning. :)

My point was not accuse anyone of being elitist, but to say if you want to be elitist and everyone does it at times (I don't generally visit the newbie area of the RCGroups forum as I am not a master and not a newbie) So that could refer to me being elitist (Probably not the correct term I was looking for), but the point is less people will get irate and find it easier to navigate if those three forums were made. I concur that off topic/highjacking does destroy a good thread.

PS Batz --- now you mention it I was a bit out of soughts when I woke up this morning. :)

Well I hope you feeling much better now Chiller , sort of reminds me of a post I put up only a few months ago (no I am not adding the link )

Things can get out of hand easy , everyone reads things too thier own understanding I suppose.
That's what keeps the courts in action

Lets all take a deep breath and get back to brewing

Batz

Batz said:

Batz
Sounds like good advice.
No more ==========>

StirPot.gif

Batz said:
Batz
[post="50233"][/post]​
Good idea Batz.
I put this on last Saturday. Had Baclkane Brewery over observing/helping/drinking.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: My English Ale
Brewer: Johnno
Asst Brewer: The 3 rugrats
Style: Some sort of English beer
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 16.65 L
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 30.8 %
2.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.5 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.2 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.5 %
28.30 gm Challenger [7.50%] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 2.25 kg

I hit about 1.041/1.042.
Beersmith said to mash in at 75c. I mashed in at a bit lower (about 71-72). Hit a temp of 64 and had to add 2 litres of boiling water.
Got to 65.
Its the smallest amount of grain I have mashed in this tun. Its never dropped in temp before but this time it dropped to 64c.
I still got very close to the target OG so I'm still quite happy about that.
Oh and the 50 grams chocolate really changed the colour profile.

cheers
johnno

I think that''s technically known as a thread hijack, Johnno. :p

Chiller, there's a lot to agree with in your post, but some of us came to this place as total noobs.
I tended to be too shy, polite or embarassed to ask the obvious noobie questions, but I was glad that someone else did.

The fact is, though, there is a huge repository of valuable info already on this forum. If the search facility is troubled, which it does seem to be at the moment - then that is a worry, but dane willing, I'm sure it will be fixed - in time.

For the past 4 years or so, I've been an active member on a forum called overclockers australia. Its one of australia's largest forums, and is full of 12 year olds who get thier first computer, then 15 year olds who get thier first kiss, then 17 year olds who get thier first car, then 18 year olds who get arrested for the first time etc etc.

After an environment like that, this board was like a little tropical island in comparison. Full of helpful people who are only too happy to share thier vast wisdom.

But...<spiderman rip-off> with great power comes great responsibility </spiderman rip-off>. I assessed the vibe of the place, saw it was more mature and advanced to what I was used to, and changed my behaviour accordingly. I researched topics, only posting questions when I needed clarification, and tried to contribute what pitifully little experience I already had.

Now I am reaping the benifits of this forum in the form of fantastic beer, and friendships with a whole bunch of great people.

oh...did I mention the beer? :chug:

barfridge said:
Now I am reaping the benifits of this forum in the form of fantastic beer, and friendships with a whole bunch of great people.

[post="50245"][/post]​

Speaking of fantastic beer, how is it tasting?

Hey, is it fair to waste time creating a new group for noobs? Not everyone comes here as a callow brewer.
Isn't it better to spend time and resources on fixing the search engine.
From this thread I see that some people put a lot of thought into their reply and that they feel that some members are taking them too seriously.

I have found new friends and been able to help a few already. I certainly don't mind spending time replying to PMs either (except that Howard bloke). As long as people know to expect me to be evil. So when I'm nice, it's a bonus.

I have seen people open their lives to the group, and I've noticed a few feuds (some real and some in jest). I don't like to see people being bullied, esp when I don't know the history.

It's esp good to see that there is no gender bias here amongst the "blokes", and there is participation by both genders (or is there more than 2 in Adelaide? :p ).

When I have opinions I them on. Hope this is OK. Surely that's what a forum's about.

Overall, the tone here is modest, relatively sober and massively helpful.

Keep up the good work.

Big up yourself goes out to Backlane, Phantum and everyoone else who doesn't take themselves too seriously.

As old Mr Grace used to say in the cult TV show "Are You Being Served": You've all done very well.

Pardon my exuberance... :p

Seth out

FWIW, macr PMed me his question.
It was a good one, he had done some research and was really looking for hands-on experience to verify the info he'd found, and maybe any extra tips on what he was planning to do.
I answered as best I could, hope it works out for him!

Guest Lurker said:
barfridge said:

[post="50245"][/post]​

Speaking of fantastic beer, how is it tasting?
[post="50247"][/post]​

Yes come on bar... have you been having a sample?

I bottled the beast last night, and tried a warm sample from the dregs in the fermenter. Definite warming alcohol, and port flavours. Should be a great winter warmer.

Is there a smiley for clasping your brow and shaking your head in disbelief? :blink: :D

Latest posts

Back