Trip Through Newcastle To Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oak barrel in the CBD is a worthy bottle shop.
does growler fills too.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Personal feedback always outranks what is in the guides.

I managed to get to the Albion Hotel in Newcastle. From the outside, this looks like your run of the mill pub, but inside the range of beers on tap is unexpected. I had an Rogue Outmeal Stout from handpump (these are serves in a tulip glass which I guess is equiv to a middie, and cost $11, but I think it was worth it - something I had not seen before, so it was an experience). Murrays Angry Man on tap just seemed to have a better aroma & taste than how I recall it from the bottle (and I should add that I enjoy it in bottled form as well. I should add that there was an old guy at the counter asking if they had VB, and was being told they do not keep the mainstream beers (which is the opposite of the scenerio I am used to).

Next I made it to Warners At The Bay - probably the biggest range of beers I have seen so far. They had 2 SS fermenter style grower refill stations. Ended up getting a squeeler of Prickly Moses. The beer cost $10 (for a litre, and the 1L bottle cost $6). They had growlers, but these were stainless steel, and cost $35 for the growler alone (ouch), so I passed on this. Will post further on the beers I purchased a little later. A Chimay Blue Reserve in a 3L Champagne bottle (like the racing car drivers use to shower ther fans) was interesting to see - I think this was selling for $105, which was cheaper than expected.

In the city, made it to Harts Pub. This appears to be housed in an building from the 1800's. About 10 taps + 2 hand pumps (one of the hand pumps had cider). Probably about half of the taps were house beers (Sydney Brewery I think). I tried the red ale, and would have liked to have tried the Black IPA, but had to drive.

That was about it for me - I will refer to this thread for my next trip, as there are a few more places I would like to visit.

Latest posts

Back