• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Tri-clover Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone using these fittings & specifically for what purpose in the brewing process?

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Hi,
Anyone using these fittings & specifically for what purpose in the brewing process?

Paul

Yes Paul. Just started to fit out the brewery with them. Awesome bit of kit IMO. Also Ross's Sabco system is fully tri-clovered and I imagine he would say the same thing.

What ya planning Big Fella?

I use them (at work) for burning my fingers and dropping the basterd loose third piece, then spilling hot stuff on myself when bending over to pick it up.

I do not like tri-clover fittings, wouldn't have them on my own brewery (have camlocks - they are good)

Perhaps on a fermenter if you want to be super duper sure about sanitation - maybe in applications where you shouldn't have to actually use the fitting while you are brewing. So to hold in an electric element or a temp probe - but I wouldn't put one on a hose or a pump where you need to actually connect or disconnect it when you brew.

I apologise to anyone who has an expensive tri-clover fitout on their brewery, but I hate the damn things and strongly recommend an alternative that has only 2 (male and female) pieces and can be connected with one hand.

TB

+1 for the camlocks they are a nice easy bit of kit and you dont need a third hand to operate them.

I have onlt seen the triclovers on some commercial breweries. The camlocks achieve the same thing and you wont lose the washers that need to go between the triclovers.

Kleiny

I have triclovers and being genetically modified with three arms and five hands have no trouble using them.
I also enjoy burning the bejesus out of my fingers putting them together with the washer intact.

I would try the camlocks if I had the time over and probably will at later date.
The camlocks also come with threaded ends and hosetails so they are a piece of pee to incorporate into your brewery.

If you want smallish ones 1/2" look at beerbelly, probably the cheapest around here.
You can order direct from the supplier if you want to hunt around.

I use them (at work) for burning my fingers and dropping the basterd loose third piece, then spilling hot stuff on myself when bending over to pick it up.

I do not like tri-clover fittings, wouldn't have them on my own brewery (have camlocks - they are good)

Perhaps on a fermenter if you want to be super duper sure about sanitation - maybe in applications where you shouldn't have to actually use the fitting while you are brewing. So to hold in an electric element or a temp probe - but I wouldn't put one on a hose or a pump where you need to actually connect or disconnect it when you brew.

I apologise to anyone who has an expensive tri-clover fitout on their brewery, but I hate the damn things and strongly recommend an alternative that has only 2 (male and female) pieces and can be connected with one hand.

TB

I totally agree. I have seen them in action in a commercial brewery and as much as they have advantages re sterilisation I think the disadvantages (very fiddly to change hoses over and they get hot and the seal always finds a way to get lost or fall off just as you are about to connect the other side). At a home brew scale I think they are a bit of a farce. There are simpler, cheaper and more effective methods. Also depends how much you value "bling" vs functionality...

I love the tricloves & have no problem fitting or removing them with 2 hands in a matter of seconds. This is on a homebrew scale, so maybe commercially the larger tricloves are awkward - One of the features that I truly love on the new brew rig. Can't comment on camlocks, as never used them, but they sound pretty simple as well.

cheers Ross

edit: Feel free to pop in for a demo or have a go yourself anytime Paul.

I love tri-clovers as I think they are more sanitary and convenient than most other connectors. I'm not in a rush to use them at home though, not unless I learn how to weld or earn lots of money and have T/C fittings welded onto all brewhouse vessels. Or I would just splurge on camlocks. Or I will just stick with hose barbs and "quick enough" disconnects which work for me just fine :)

And T/C fittings are definitely easier to connect the smaller they are. It's like playing pool; the bigger the table gets, the harder the game is.

I love tri-clovers as I think they are more sanitary and convenient than most other connectors. I'm not in a rush to use them at home though, not unless I learn how to weld or earn lots of money and have T/C fittings welded onto all brewhouse vessels. Or I would just splurge on camlocks. Or I will just stick with hose barbs and "quick enough" disconnects which work for me just fine :)

And T/C fittings are definitely easier to connect the smaller they are. It's like playing pool; the bigger the table gets, the harder the game is.

Worked in a winery in the US a few years back and EVERYTHING was T/C the 2" ones are ok one handed just, the 3-6" ones are a right pain to do one handed while wrestling with the suction hose on the other end of the fitting! Personally I don't see much of a place for them in the home brew world, now if you were going microbrew commercial then yes if only for the ease of cleaning (few places for microbes to hide), but otherwise each to their own, I like camlock fittings for things less than 2" and have quite a few around the place, not just in the brewery either....

And as mentioned the price is another factor, I'm quite adverse to stickershock and my hip pocket nerve seems quite sensitive these days, can't figure why either! :D

I have a full set of tc on everything so far and they are great. So easy to clean and pull apart. Mine are 1 inch size but reduce down to half inck on hoses. Conical fermenter is next on the list and that will definately have them. I have a mate who does sanitary welding so he has helped me out alot so far.

I think TC's are a lot easier to use if one side is fixed i.e. One side is fixed to the MT, Kettle or Conical etc... If you are trying to join TC's on two hoses full of hot liquid that are loose on a floor it's a different story.

You really can't beat the sanitary side of them, that's why they are the FMCG industry standard. I would have put them all through my brewery if I had of had the dollars extra to spare at the time.... In saying that, my 1/2" SS unions do a fantastic job.

You really can't beat the sanitary side of them, that's why they are the FMCG industry standard.

Not sure whether that standard refers to the wine industry as well. If it does I must say I only know of one winery here that uses them exclusively and by all accounts if it was not for the cost they would change to BSM threads in a flash.

Hi,

Paul

I would assume Tri-clover fittings, the size you would use would be OK. I have used them (larger size) in a winery situation and once you get used to them they are easy to assemble. I currently use ss camlocs and really would not have it any other way. Quick release, on and off with no burning of the hands.

BYB

Once you get them everywhere you'll have next to no threaded part on the brewery presuming you go butterfly valves as well. At the finish I take all valves and hoses and fittings off and put in a buket of pbw. Only problem I have had is with adjusting the flow with a 1" butterfly valve, it can be a bit tricky and would be alot easier if they were 1/2". Overkill most probably but i'm glad I've got them.

+2 for camlocks...

didnt know myself after I installed them to my rig..

+1 for the camlocks they are a nice easy bit of kit and you dont need a third hand to operate them.

I have onlt seen the triclovers on some commercial breweries. The camlocks achieve the same thing and you wont lose the washers that need to go between the triclovers.

Kleiny

Definitely tri-clover for fixed fittings and BSM for flexible hose. Never had a problem.

Cheers
Booz

Not sure whether that standard refers to the wine industry as well. If it does I must say I only know of one winery here that uses them exclusively and by all accounts if it was not for the cost they would change to BSM threads in a flash.

I don't mean this as a dig in anyway, but it's worth pointing out that wineries are rarely as sanitary as their brewing equivalents. They probably only want to change to BSM because it's what everyone else uses in the Oz wine industry.

I don't mean this as a dig in anyway, but it's worth pointing out that wineries are rarely as sanitary as their brewing equivalents. They probably only want to change to BSM because it's what everyone else uses in the Oz wine industry.

Agree, I have seen a lot more cleaner breweries than I have wineries. Whilst winemakers can / are an anal bunch of bastards :eek: , in the end its the cellarhand that has to pick up the pcs, perform magic and do handstands in the corner :lol: . Long live BSM fittings!

BYB

Hey Kaizer the stool,

BSM are sanitary and speaking about wine/cider sanitary conditions, what about mixing up the 3kgs of dried yeast using a bucket that isnt so clean and liquor that isnt exactly sterile and then mixing it all up with your nice and dirty hands, remember doing that stuff Kia sorry Kai? just feels good sometimes to be so dirty.

+1 for Tri-clover fitting 1 1/2 inch fittings are the bomb, the trick is to hold the two flanges and seal together with one hand and flick the clamp around with the other hand, I always feel abit special everytime I pull off that move.

Cheers

Brett the infection shore of the ocean

+1 for Tri-clover fitting 1 1/2 inch fittings are the bomb, the trick is to hold the two flanges and seal together with one hand and flick the clamp around with the other hand, I always feel abit special everytime I pull off that move.

Cheers

Part of my point - even with the "makes me feel special" move... it takes two hands to work a tri-clover. I spent a chunk of time today playing with a 1 1/2 inch tri-clover (smallest I could get my mitts on) and no matter how I worked it, its a two handed operation. Hand A holds hose,
Hand B places gasket on one of the faces, Hand A presses the faces together, Hand B retrieves the clamp from wherever you had it resting unless you have a Hand C, flicks it around and screws it shut.

That's two hands, several manoeuvres and the opportunity to misplace a clamp or a gasket ... all of which means I am going to have to put my beer down. Whereas with a camlock or a BSM (especially in the 1/2 - 1 inch size range) I can hold it in one hand, push it onto the opposing fitting and close the levers (or spin the nut) with the thumb and forefinger of the same hand. Beer stays firmly clenched in Hand B the whole time and I don't have to scrabble under the sink to retrieve the clamp/gasket after dropping it.

Tri-clovers for sure on fixed fittings - they are an awesome bit of kit. But on hoses, I re-affirm my dislike of tri-clovers and the virtues of an alternative like camlocks or sanitary BSM fittings.

Hey Kaizer the stool,

BSM are sanitary and speaking about wine/cider sanitary conditions, what about mixing up the 3kgs of dried yeast using a bucket that isnt so clean and liquor that isnt exactly sterile and then mixing it all up with your nice and dirty hands, remember doing that stuff Kia sorry Kai? just feels good sometimes to be so dirty.

Cheers

Brettles!

Yes I remember doing that. Still, I don't think that BSM is as sanitary though; after working in a cheesery for a couple years I learned pretty quickly that British standard milk gaskets have to be dug out and cleaned regularly otherwise they get pretty festy...

Back