Transporting The Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarmBeer

Unhappy camper
Reaction score
Hi,

Was thinking of having a brew-day with a fellow home brewing friend of mine.

If we organise to do the brewing at his place, how sensible is it to transport the completed wort in a sanitised cube, then just chuck it in the fermenter (followed by the yeast) once I get home?

It would probably be an extract or kits'n'bits, not all-grain?

Anybody had any experience with brewing this way?

Cheers,

Brett

No chill ...... have a bit of a look around , this is done all the time ...

cheers and merry xmas

Yep.
No-chill! Squeeze out air while hot, and travel as far as you need.
later :beer: :icon

BUT If you end up doing a kits n bits or smaller boil extract then you would be diluting the wort with water to reach your 23L (or whatever target you are) so the wort in this case will not be hot enough to use the no chill method as a lot of do here.

That doesn't say you still can't do it, however if it is not at the high temps then it will not have exactly the same effect.
But if you have you sanitisation down then there should not be a worry, although I wouldn't advise to leave it in the cube too long (as in days etc) as it was not sealed in the same way an "normal" no chill is.

My opinion anyways. Happy to be told I'm wrong, as that does happen...occasionally ;)

I no chill myself, and thats great for indefinate storage (well, within reason). however if it's going to be chilled, and is going in a sanatised cube just for transport, and is then being pitched straight away when you get home, I see no issue at all. Just make sure that the sanatisation is good.

If it's not an AG, obviously you are going to end up with, say, 8 or 10 litres of hot concentrated wort in the bottom of the fermenter ready to be topped up with cold water and adjusting to correct temp and then pitched.
I've just done a partial and ended up with about 10 litres in the fermenter and did what I always do, let it cool down for a few hours then top up with icy cold water from a cube I had prechilled in the fridge and bobs your uncle.

If you can arrange to have your cold top-up water ready for you at home I would have no problems in just taking your fermenter round to your mates, do the brew then strap it in the back seat of the car and ensure it is well sealed, maybe even as far as clingwraping the top, and pitch when you get home.

Cheers.

Yeah, will probably end up with 10 or so litres of hot wort, so would rather not transport it in the back seat in between the 2 kids :)

I've got one of those 17lt cubes from Artisan Ale, and a 20lt plastic jerry, so I figure as long as its nicely sanitised beforehand, I could either fill just to the ~8-10 litres (depending on boil volume) and bring that home (hot), or top up to the top of the vessel and bring home 17 or 20 litres of luke warm wort.

Primary motivation is being able to brew with a mate, while also being able to let the wives/kids get together at the same time. I figure this kills two birds with one stone.

Cheers,

Brett

And of course the Mrs will be the nominated driver home ;)

If it's going to be a regular, and why indeed not, :) I was in Bunnings yesterday buying a jerry for secondary and see they have some fairly robust Willow 10L cubes for about thirteen bucks, one of those should last forever and you could just chuck it in the boot with perfect confidence.

I have a couple of woolies 10L cubes that the springwater comes in and I use them for transporting cold water but a couple of nights ago when doing a partial in a water bath in an esky I carried some very hot water (only about mash temp) from the laundry to the garage brewhaus and it just about destroyed the cube even at that temp. So it's probably a good investment to get something robust like a Willow.

Primary motivation is being able to brew with a mate, while also being able to let the wives/kids get together at the same time. I figure this kills two birds with one stone.

Top that off with a burnt meat sacrifice to Aegor, the god of brewing, and it sounds like the perfic day. ;)

As far as transportation is concerned, it would be better either with no headspace at all (and hence no aeration due to the car ride), or cooled prior to transport if there is to be headspace imo.

Latest posts

Back