Transfer - Fermenter To Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonte

Reaction score
An idea I've been toying with is connecting my 'standard' Coopers-kit type plastic fermenter (with it's standard sized plastic tap) via tubing to the beer-in post through a QD fitting. If I then leave the pressure relief valve open I could just let gravity move the beer from fermenter to keg with minimal to no exposure to the air. I realise that it might not be particularly quick but given that it's pretty much a closed system it could be left alone to do it's thing.

Apart from the obvious 'how will i know when it's full' the other thing I'm struggling with is working out how to connect a hose that's big enough to fit on the fermenter tap and will also seal at the QD connector, or better, what to use to join two hoses of the appropriate diameter with a perfect seal.

Any thoughts appreciated.

An idea I've been toying with is connecting my 'standard' Coopers-kit type plastic fermenter (with it's standard sized plastic tap) via tubing to the beer-in post through a QD fitting. If I then leave the pressure relief valve open I could just let gravity move the beer from fermenter to keg with minimal to no exposure to the air. I realise that it might not be particularly quick but given that it's pretty much a closed system it could be left alone to do it's thing.

Apart from the obvious 'how will i know when it's full' the other thing I'm struggling with is working out how to connect a hose that's big enough to fit on the fermenter tap and will also seal at the QD connector, or better, what to use to join two hoses of the appropriate diameter with a perfect seal.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Bloke I use a stainless 1/4 Ball Valve with a beer line push fit connector on the end and do precisely what you suggest. Sometimes with a filter if I can be bothered/ in a hurry for a brighter beer. The ball valve pulls apart easily for cleaning but you do need to be careful when screwing the 1/4 - 3/4 BSP adapter into your fermenter as it's pretty unforgiving on the thread if it gets crossed.
Cheers
Doug
Edit This Thread covers a few options/ thought too :)

A piece of silicon tube slides over the fermenter tap and a John Guest joiner. BEVA tube into JG fitting, into black QD.

Craftbrewer will sell you one if you can't be bothered.

My understanding is that CO2 is heaving that air. So if you squirt a bit of CO2 into your keg before filling, you'll have a blanket of CO2 at the bottom. Make sure your hose is reaches the bottom and just fill through the open hatch... Anyway, just my two cents worth.

sap.

My understanding is that CO2 is heaving that air. So if you squirt a bit of CO2 into your keg before filling, you'll have a blanket of CO2 at the bottom. Make sure your hose is reaches the bottom and just fill through the open hatch... Anyway, just my two cents worth.

sap.

Only if you manage to keep the temperature of the atmosphere in and around the keg absolutely stable for quite a while. Otherwise, all you do is increase the CO2 concentration in the air within the keg. There's quite a bit of CO2 in the atmosphere but we don't tend to suffocate when we lie down on the ground.

I like the idea of purging vessels with CO2, but the best way to do that for me is to fill them with sanitiser then push it back out again with CO2.

Just letting the transfer happen slowly will work almost as well if you're not looking to keep the beer for too long, I reckon. If you're naturally carbonating in the keg, some people will tell you that the yeast will process any oxygen that remains.

... you'll have a blanket of CO2 at the bottom. Make sure your hose is reaches the bottom and just fill through the open hatch...
I do that now - I force starsan up through the dip tube with CO2 and hope/assume that it might largely displace some/most of the air and then fill through the hatch but just thought one less orifice exposed to the world might be a good thing.

SpillsMostOfIt said:
A piece of silicon tube slides over the fermenter tap and a John Guest joiner. BEVA tube into JG fitting, into black QD.
That sounds perfect and well worth a shot. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back