Tragedy Strikes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished a Spicy Ghost brew myself.
1st try went very nasty (no idea why), but this 2nd time it's worked out well.
I did notice with this brew that the sides of the fermenter and the top had a covering of yeasty goodness. The fermenter looked spotty (through the plastic) as I was bottling.

A couple of weeks after bottling and a sample is drinking well.

f

1+ dont touch it.

if it tastes fine and smells fine, its fine.

my last brew (Nelson sauvin pale ale with us-05 yeast) looked similar (though not as extreme). krausen just letf lots of tiny clumps of yeast on the top of the beer as it settled. nothing to worry about at all.

when its finished (stable fg) bottle or keg as normal.

cheers

I've has similar crust and I assumed it was just the Krousen left overs, tasted 100% to me.

Only just seen this post - To confirm what others have said, the beer looks fine to me.

cheers Ross

Drain some off and send it over.I can put it under the microscope and have a look.If its an obvious infection we will pick it up.Some problems need to be incubated to find the cause but a lot can be seen immediately (Rods etc). No promises and very hard to call the exact infection if it actualy exists.Could just be a funky yeast.
GB

Drain some off and send it over.I can put it under the microscope and have a look.If its an obvious infection we will pick it up.Some problems need to be incubated to find the cause but a lot can be seen immediately (Rods etc). No promises and very hard to call the exact infection if it actualy exists.Could just be a funky yeast.
GB

Thats an awesome offer GB. I will see what the verdict is from our Brew meeting on Thursday and if there is still any uncertainty I will take you up.

Cheers

Dicko

Just a follow up...

This brew was off. I turfed it!

I have another Cascade brew that my brother gave me. I have been looking at it for a month wondering if it is infected as well.

My question is;

If I do keg this brew, and it is off... What is the worst that could happen?

Is it simply a matter of turfing the contents of the keg and having to clean/bleach it OR do I run the risk of infecting my other kegs (through the gas manifold), my lines, my font etc?

Cheers

Dicko

dicko the pureists would say that any infected keg would need all 'O' rings and seals to be replaced but i challenge that idea with the kegs of Lambic i have poured from my taps. obviously Lambic is infected to get the flavour but ive never had any strange flavours from the kegs used to serve the Lambic.
you should clean your lines etc with quality cleaner and sterilise your keg after cleaning/bleaching it.
keep up your sanitation and you should be ok.

wanna come over and see a real mill in action? :p

cheers,dan

dicko the pureists would say that any infected keg would need all 'O' rings and seals to be replaced but i challenge that idea with the kegs of Lambic i have poured from my taps. obviously Lambic is infected to get the flavour but ive never had any strange flavours from the kegs used to serve the Lambic.
you should clean your lines etc with quality cleaner and sterilise your keg after cleaning/bleaching it.
keep up your sanitation and you should be ok.

wanna come over and see a real mill in action? :p

cheers,dan

Ha-ha...

Would you like to bring it over and have a look at a real kegerator? :p

lets not hijack a thread with talk of "whose font is bigger"
id hate to embarass a new retailer!!

cheers,dan

My 'Golden Advice'? As long as its not something bloody obvious like a mould growing on the beer or a film, or some terrible taste thats got you squinting and puckering - bottle as per usual! I did this the other months with a beer I was doing, just a simple ale hopped with Sticklebract. Looked alright, but smelt weird. Meh, bottled it. 3 weeks later, fridged a bunch and drank the first one....GOLD! Second one was eagerly poured after the first...and tasted foul, utterly foul. I had one good longie out of the whole shebang.

Least I know its a good recipe, and at the best it could've turned out alright with no worries at all.

Cheers - boingk

Back