Tower 10 Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm on Palm cove..miles from the taps in the garage...
Quite like the 7% tower 10..seems okay..thank god for Dans
Been drinking Fat yak which I think has been so dumbed down its not funny...
I Wouk like more hops and aroma..but I think I'm being precious lol
Good beer in my drunken opinion
F

fergthebrewer said:
Been drinking Fat yak which I think has been so dumbed down its not funny...
I Wouk like more hops and aroma..but I think I'm being precious lol
Yeah is it just us, or did they do something to Fat Yak? I used to really enjoy that beer, particularly on tap. Have we suffered some kind of lupulin threshold shift, or are they dumbing it down?

Maybe I shouldn't wake the dead, but what the hell..

I must admit, I had some Ballast Point Big Eye when I was in Hawaii recently and didn't really rate it. Not bad, but I stopped at one and moved one. Where as I had 2 six packs of the SN Flipside Red IPA.. killer!

*dons flame suit*

carniebrew said:
Yeah is it just us, or did they do something to Fat Yak? I used to really enjoy that beer, particularly on tap. Have we suffered some kind of lupulin threshold shift, or are they dumbing it down?

They have it on tap at my local. Sometimes you can walk in and get a schooner and it there doing beatiful little hop burps for an hour after you finnisn it. Others you can barely tell there are more hops in it than a Tooheys.

I always put it down to whether they have just opened a fresh keg or not. I don't know if i'm right, but that seems to be what happens at home too.

Been lucky enough to head to alot of the SD breweries, the Sculpin is the Ballast Point beer to go for, stunning stuff. Same for the beers from Society, Alpine, Alesmith and Thorn St Brewery; these guys make the Tower 10 look a bit pedestrian. Thorn St triple dry hop their IPA, so much fresh hoppiness.

Really liked the Red Trolley, funny how Karl Strauss were inspired by the Sail and Anchor in Perth after a visit to the Americas Cup.

im drinking the tower 10 IPA as i type this,,, its taken 2 years but my taste buds have accepted HOPPY BEERS!! now i feel like i cant get enough hops in a glass..... its like Crack..... :beerbang:
anyway my first thoughts of this beer are,,,Did someone steep or dryhop or even secondary ferment there Gumboots or bicycle tyre in this?? because im getting a rubbery aftertaste from this beer,,, strange i know as ive never had that before in a beer,,, i thought at first could it be the Chinook hops but then i ruled that out as i just had a "HOP CZAR" that is also hopped with Chinook and i didnt get that rubber taste from that anyway so far this is my least favourite IPA . But not to finish on a Low note it HAS HOPS!!!!! and its BEER :)

just poured a bottle of tower 10 and noticed it was quite cloudy. anyone know the yeast that's used and if it could be cultured?

i understand it might be worthless but in the interest of saving money....

If it's yeast in the bottle making it cloudy, it could definitely be cultured. But I'd be surprised if it's anything other than a neutral American Ale yeast like US-05, and the cloudiness is coming from elsewhere. 7% and 70 IBU doesn't leave a lot of room for yeast flavour...

I've drunk a fair few of these and I've never noticed it to be particularly cloudy. Must admin though, after a couple of these, I'm not really checking :D

Back