Toucan Belle Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bt1

Reaction score
Howdy,

Nothing flash or difficult nor time consuming but a real nice beer. Got some great aromas and finishing tastes. Good body and mouth feel. Have no restraints about recommending it, sure it can be pimped (the next 2 versions for mine, wheat malt, hops etc)

1 x Cooper Pale Ale can
1 x Coopers Wheat malt can
1 x Belle Saison yeast

that's it!

start 1042
Finish ~1006
kegged, primed with 120gm dex
3 weeks to mature, week 4 into fridge, Drinking now

enjoy a tasty simple drop.

cheers
bt

Good work bt1. Good to know you got a decent beer from minimal ingredients. The Coopers pale ale can is a good one.

Check this recipe out, i suspect you may have used it as a base? https://store.coopers.com.au/shop/product/biere-du-mois-saison/
Its pretty similar, it uses the wheat beer kit (rather than wheat LME) and adds some DME and some Saaz. The recipe pack is sold out, but you may find the recipe useful if you decide to tweak at all.

The recipe you suggest isn't strictly what some of the brewers on here refer to as a toucan. Yes you used two cans, but on here people refer to a toucan as a beer that is made with two 'kit' (hopped) cans. ie if you used two coopers pale ale cans. You used a kit can and a can of unhopped malt extract, and as such isn't strictly a toucan.

Who cares though, you made some good beer. Enjoy!

huh, I have just ordered some Belle Saison from Yob and was looking at doing a kit wheat saison thingy over the Xmas break. I was guessing at something very similar to the Coopers recipe pack. Awesome, thanks for the link Alex.

Just drinking my first Saison with danstar, bottled my second. Even though I'm an ag brewer, I reckon that yeast would kick arse with a kit and can brew, the yeast has a fantastic character, would really help kit brewers along, and perfect for summer. Good post.

Having only really brewed pale ales with us05 and Cooper's starters, this really rocked my world. Recommend trying. Having no temp control for lagers etc, it's the best Euro style beer I've ever made, and well make again and again.

+1 to op.

pickaxe

Sounds pretty good......I've just put my first ever brew on, a lager can that came with my brew kit.....this sounds like a good second brew, although I've never drank a saison beer. Could you describe the style? Cheers

I've been lucky enough to assist in draining 2 kegs of this one over the Xmas break...geez it's an nice drop and great return on the little effort required.

It's all about the yeast with some great flavours coming through.

This brew is a bugga as it restrains me from more AG/BIAB brews...A nice problem to have imho.

cheers
bt1

Well looks like my saison has hit TG: 1010. Estimated TG was 1008 so happy with that. Will leave for a couple of days to make sure of the gravity.

Tastes nice and zingy in the hydro tube. I am so looking forward to this once carb'd up. Am thinking I'll stick in the 11L keg and bottle some others to hand out to people.

Quick question. Is this the standard pale ale can or the Thomas coopers Indian pale ale one? Looking to make this on the weekend!
Any hop recommendations?

Hello Jatter,

stock std Pale Ale can is what I used. It's nice as it is without extra hops... softer drop...but have done one yet to try with nelson sav hops... bit of extra "fruit" shall we say.

be interested to see how you go with this one.

cheers
bt1

So I have about 20 grams of NS left from the last brew, I'll use that and update back here

Kegged the Biere de Mois last night. FG was 1010 and Coopers said from 1004 to 1008 so little bit off their figures. I tried swirling and raising ferment temp but no change.

Also got some in a plastic bottle so that should carb up quicker than the keg.

Taste from the sample tube is quite tart and very subtle spice from the saaz. Very excited to taste this one once carb'd. Should be about a week or so.

ok just got this brewed. ended up with the following:

1 x Cooper Pale Ale can
1 x Briess CBW Bavarian Wheat 1.5kg
1 x Belle Saison yeast (pre-activated in 100ml water an spoonfull of left over BE1)

3litre miniboil:
390ml of Wheat Malt to make up 3L

Chinook 15G @ 25min
Chinook 5G @ 5min

In the fridge with temp control set to 18degrees.

Kept the hops light and it smelt great. Thats all, first time freely playing hops so should be interesting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389958224.253316.jpg

Well here is my first glass of the "biere de mois". Nice tart taste and not too over-powering. I think a slight touch more saaz next time to add a little more spice.
I didn't filter this one so a bit hazy but I like that about this beer.
Still a few days off being carb'd properly but already very smashable. It's around 6% so a bit stealthy. :)

7 or so days have passed and gravity looks stable. It's still in the primary FV, however I did have a glass straight form the FV today while the kids were playing. Very nice drop with a lot of fruity flavours.

Anyone else in Brisbane made this? I'm keen to swap a tallie to compare how much impact the hops had.

Looks dam nice to me!

Lucky enough to have another keg in fridge put in last night so some taste "testing" will be required tonight....bout 8 pints should do it :D

The small hops addition of Nelson Sav does no harm either and compliments it well imho

bt1

Try some Amarillo for aroma and flavour. I love the fruity pale ales.

angus_grant said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389958224.253316.jpg Well here is my first glass of the "biere de mois". Nice tart taste and not too over-powering. I think a slight touch more saaz next time to add a little more spice. I didn't filter this one so a bit hazy but I like that about this beer. Still a few days off being carb'd properly but already very smashable. It's around 6% so a bit stealthy. :)
hey mate

was going to put this down on the weekend, you reckon more Saaz for that bit of bite? what did you end up with?

cheers Luke

Im drinking a version of this right now however in addition to the recipe

I steeped 200grams of crystal at 68 degrees
did a 5 l boil with 300 grams of dex
20 grams centennial at 15mins
20 grams of Citra at 5mins
dry hopped 12 grams each of Amarillo and Citra
avb was close to 6%

my advice is stick to the very late additions as in the end it was very dry which made it seem just a tad bitter but its still very nice after 9 weeks

Back