Topaz And Stella Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhouken

Reaction score
Would love to use the QHC conference hops freebees. Forum search did not pop up with anything. Any ideas on suitable styles or better yet a recipe I could use.

Hey, mate. I agree, the search didn't show much at all.

There is THIS THREAD that I started where there is a little info...I still haven't brewed with Stella yet.

I made a nice AIPA with galaxy+topaz late, and stella+topaz dry. It came in just outside of the medals at vicbrew IIRC.

Depending on how much you have, an IPA is a good option IMO.

the advice i got from Hendo @ otway estate is to only use topaz late in the boil for a nice lychee aroma, too early in the boil and it can give a harshed bitterness. ive only ever followed that advice with topaz so far

I've been pretty happy with Topaz early, using small amounts to bitter APAs and Golden Ales to 25 IBUs with no harshness, and as part of the bittering component of a 50 IBU IPA again with no harshness. Smoother bitterness than Galaxy for example.

Topaz was my "everything" hop for quite a bit.
Good clean bitterness, if you don't go overboard, and excellently aromatic. Excellently high AA was very useful and used it (in the tinest amounts) for bittering styles as broad as Belgian strongs and Weizenbocks without an issue.

the advice i got from Hendo @ otway estate is to only use topaz late in the boil for a nice lychee aroma, too early in the boil and it can give a harshed bitterness. ive only ever followed that advice with topaz so far

Yeah Topaz is a nice hop but it's very high alpha acid and in cohumulone (65%) so it doesn't take much to get harsh bitterness.

I used it in Prickly Moses Session Ale (kind of an amber sorta thing) as bittering, late and dry hop. As jimi said, loved the lychee but the harsh bitterness came through without much effort if you know what I mean.

If Hop Products Australia ever breed a low-cohumulone variant of Topaz they would be on a winner!

Cheers!

Hendo

I am going all out tonight and making my Topaz APA, fermented with the san francisco super yeast. It will be a masterpiece

Back