Tooheys Micro Brew Kit Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerDave

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing and looking for a good way to get started. As far as I know my local supermarket stocks this Tooheys Micro Brew Kit. To me this looks like a fair enough way to get started, even if I get a mediocre kit brew out of it. Has anyone had experience with this kit before? I'd like to know if the fermenter and other assorted homebrew hardware is any good or am i just going to end up cursing at it later when I'm buying new gear ;) ?

I think Big W has both the Toohey's and Coopers kit on special for around $65 (atleast in Vic).

Any of the kits are still going to be useful down the track. There is a coopers one that includes 30 plastic longnecks which are pretty handy if you haven't got a collection yet!

Any of the kits are still going to be useful down the track. There is a coopers one that includes 30 plastic longnecks which are pretty handy if you haven't got a collection yet!

Thanks. I think that'll be the way to go.

With whatever kit you get, I am fairly sure you'll get the can of extract and a 1kg bag of dextrose to use as an additive. Save that for carbonating your beer and go and get something else, even if its just a Coopers Brew Enhancer Two from the local supermarket or whatnot.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: To answer your question on the equipment quality, they are all comparable. Tooheys fermenters have a slightly narrower footprint than Coopers ones, but otherwise I'd say they are both fine choices. Either way, you'll be looking at around $90 to get the setup for your first brew [with bottles]. Alternatively, you could invest in a good capper and come caps and just use glass bottles.

I started with a Coopers kit (fermenter, can o' goop, 30 PET bottles, etc...) a few years ago and it is still going strong. I found replacing the rubber o-ring around the airlock stem with an automotive cable gland (about $2 for a pack at Super Cheap) gave me a better seal and that warm fuzzy bubbling sound.

Thanks to my local home brew shop I'm now using better quality kits, and a better "kilo", not just the CSR 'Brewers Sugar'.

BrewerDave,

Fill out your location in your profile. There might be an experienced brewer near you that can meet and have a chat about options. There are cheaper and just as good options available from your local mega hardware store.

regards,
Scott

Ps. Only ever use a soft cloth (eg. chux) on your plastic fermenter. Let a chemical like sodium percarbonate (napisan) do the hard work.

Back