Tooheys Brewing Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycum0

Reaction score
Has anybody here had any experience with Tooheys brewing kits?
If so could you please give me your two cents worth?

The only thing Tooheys is good for is keeping CUB competitive.

Well - imagine the crap they'd get away with if they were a total monopoly.

andycum0 said:
Has anybody here had any experience with Tooheys brewing kits?
If so could you please give me your two cents worth?
[post="69525"][/post]​

I've tried the Tooheys Draught kit. Very average I reckon.
Coopers kits are better, and generally cheaper.

Toohey's kits are probably the best on the market.

Ages ago I brewed a Tooheys Draught with the kit yeast and it turned out just like Tooheys New, no doubt exactly as the maker intended, and just what their punters are looking for.

Personally, if there was any flavour in it, I would have puked, but even I can't throw up on anything that weak.

Okay, not the best kits, maybe the smartest.

The base cans are of reasonable quality, but they take good yeast, good hop additions and some extras to make them worthwhile. That makes them just an expensive LME substitute I s'pose.

I have brewed several Tooheys Dark Ale kits and 3 Tooheys Lager kits.

I am a Tooheys Old drinker and find that the Dark Ale kit, when brewed with 600g of dry dark malt, 400g of maltodextrin and Willamette finishing hops is almost identical to Tooheys Old.

The Lager kits I have brewed with 1 kg of dry light malt and Hallertau finishing hops and again found them to be extremely enjoyable drinking.

My father in law has brewed the entire range of the kits and he reckons they are ok as well.

Andy try some Morgans kits, Im sure you will notice a big difference.

I have brewed the Tooheys Dark Ale and the Tooheys Lager.

With the Dark Ale I used 600g of Dark malt with 400g of maltodextrin and Willamette finishing hops and found it to be every bit as good as Tooheys Old out of the tap, which is my favorite tap beer.

The Lager I put down with 1kg of light dry malt and hallertau finishing hops and again found it to be a very refreshing drop last Xmas.

My father in law has brewed all of the available kits and says they all are ok.

Latest posts

Back