Too Much Yeast Deposit Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipster

Reaction score
Hi there,

It seems that I've been having a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottles on my new batches. Me think that it should be due to summery temperatures causing the yeast to reproduce a lot.

Shall I use 3.5g per 23L instead of 7g?

Thanks in advance.

.z

Hard to say the exact cause without more details.

I generally rack & bulk prime. Transferring off the yeast cake in these processes generally reduces the amount of yeast and trub that makes it from the fermenter into the bottle. If I use gelatine as well, I generally end up with only a thin dusting of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

HTH,
T.

Hi there,

It seems that I've been having a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottles on my new batches. Me think that it should be due to summery temperatures causing the yeast to reproduce a lot.

Thanks in advance.

.z

If you think it's to the Seasonal temperature, store them in a cooler spot.

But just for shits and giggles, read up on "Bulk Priming" and "Racking to Secondary" if you suffer from excessive sediment.

BF

Surprised you havent had a response telling you about pitching rates and how many active billion cells of yeasties you need...some folks on here are right into it (with good reason).

Personally, I wouldnt drop the amount of yeast used. Most will tell you to double it and use a 11g or more packet of yeast for a 23L brew rather than the standard 7g that coopers gives you. But I'm no expert on that and probably best left to someone else to does know what they're talking about.

I do however rack mine to secondary for a week after fermentation and gelatine the sh!t out it. Helps a lot in dropping out most of the yeast and clearing up the brew, whilst still leaving enough around for bottle carbonation.

If you think it's to the Seasonal temperature, store them in a cooler spot.

Cooling, heating, this requires electricity, and a lot of it. How about your carbon footprint, do you think of that sometimes?

Are we still brewing like in the 90's here or what?

I'll look into bulk priming as I have been thinking about it for a while now, thanks for reminding me of that!

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

.z

3.5 grams of yeast?

No.

Get a second vessel and some tubing and transfer the beer off the yeast prior to bottling. You can then calculate the amount of sugar you need to prime the bottles you have and add as a solution to the second fermenter instead of dosing each bottle.

You will leave a lot of sediment behind.

You can also look at using gelatine finings although the first step for me is enough.

Letting your beer mature in bulk for longer will also result in less sediment.

Cooling, heating, this requires electricity, and a lot of it. How about your carbon footprint, do you think of that sometimes?

Nope Never, I like black ballons and farting a lot

Are we still brewing like in the 90's here or what?

Tins of goop, raw sugar in the bottles, heaps of sediment in the bottles, stored in a warm spot....
Sure as hell sounds like it, but at least you're in the right spot.

I'll look into bulk priming as I have been thinking about it for a while now, thanks for reminding me of that!

You probably forgot about Ferment temp control and what not rinsing bleach from your equipment does too.
Just never forget to DRY YOUR BOTTLES!!!
As long as your bottles are dry, you'll be fine

Happy to remind you of anything you may have forgotten in the future, just let me know.

Cheers,

BF

Cooling, heating, this requires electricity, and a lot of it.

I built a fermentation box out of an old cupboard and some foam insulation from Supermans alter-egos Rubber store. Fermentor sits in the cupboard which sits in the spare bathroom shower cubical which is generally 18-22 degrees depending on the weather. Does the trick 90% of the time - no electricity consumed (apart from the jigsaw I used to cut out the panels of the cupboard).

There are ways and means to temp control that dont cost...

Actually, cooling for the purposes of fermenting doesn't use a heck of a lot of electricity because the fridge is only being asked to maintain around 18 degrees and will only kick in a few times a day for short periods. Unlike the average kitchen fridge that gets opened and closed fifteen times a day, make that 50 times if you have kids, and which gets run at around 3 C.
I run 5 fridges, and my power bills aren't much higher (after factoring in the rise in charges) than when I only had the kitchen fridge and an all purpose fridge/freezer in the brewery and a dead fridge with ice bottles.

A modern well insulated fridge run on a temp controller containing a full fermenter at 18 or 20 should only cost cents to run. The door only gets opened a few times during the course of the fermentation, and the thermal mass of the brew evens out fluctuations, ensuring that for most of the year the fridge won't need to turn on overnight anyway.

However the point that Zipster makes certainly applies to lagers and after dabbling in that area for the last year or so, I'm going back to ales full time (one of the several reasons I recently downsized the brewery). I'll leave the lagers to the commercials to make for me :p

In my bottling days, racked to a cube with gelatine, leave for 3 days then bottle.

Thanks. But I like to keep things simple, this way I save time.

Gelatine? What does that do?

foghorn_.gif

I have no idea what you fellas are on about...

Zipster, check this link out for all your sediment enquiries. I found it helped a lot and I hardly have any sediment after going through it

Back