Too Much Water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thylacoleo

Reaction score
Hey,

When I was mixing up the brew, I added about half a litre (maybe a bit more) more water than was advised in the recipe booklet. It advised 23L and I added a touch too much cold water to make it up to a bit under the 24L mark. How is this likely to affect the brew? The ferment is done as far as I can tell (no activity through the airlock, and the SG has been steady for the past two days, albeit slightly higher than expected), so I can't really do anything to save it.

The Coopers Hombrew booklet mentions a gassy beer is a symptom of too much water being added, but is less than a litre extra likely to have much of an effect? Could I just add less priming sugar?

Cheers,
T.

Take that booklet and throw it in the bin, it's useless. I doubt very much that you'll notice any difference at all, if it's done, go about bottling as usuall, you'll only really have a slightly less alcoholic beverage. The fact that there is 1 more litre in the fermenter means you have 1 more litre to drink :chug:

Cool, thanks for the tip. I didn't think an extra litre would really do much, but I decided I'd consult the experts because some of the other things in the process need to be a bit nearer to spot on.

Cheers.

The Coopers Hombrew booklet mentions a gassy beer is a symptom of too much water being added,

What the hell is that supposed to mean ?

Anway Thy, as said, your beer will be fine. Throw the kit instruction out and your next beer will be better ! Just be sure to bookmark this site and read it often.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I didn't think an extra litre would really do much, but I decided I'd consult the experts because some of the other things in the process need to be a bit nearer to spot on.

Cheers.

TIP: add less sugar than what they state for bottling. For me i found they where always soda like with the carbonation at those levels bulk prime (by gently stirring in a sugar/water solution intyo your fermenter/secondary container and then bottle. by bulk priming you ahev even carbonation. for around 2 volumes of CO2 @18-20deg storage temps you are looking @ around 100g of table sugar. use this reference: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=79

google - 'daves prefered priming procedure' , there is a graph that shows the relationship between temp and carbonation and how much sugar to use (grams per litre) to achieve the desired level of bubble in your beer. Happy days :icon_cheers:

Hey T,

Did the same thing to a Coopers Blonde mix recently, added 1 litre extra, It turned out ok if a little on the week side but still quite drinkable, was a good slam down quick beer.
Yours should be allright.

Have learnt from this mistake.

Cheers Ivan

Back