Too Much Froth When Pouring From Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23356

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am sure this has probably been posted before but have searched the forum and cannot find any topics relating to this.

My husband and I have been home brewing for the most part of this year and haven't had any issues until the last 2 batches... now we find ourselves with 4 corny kegs of brew we have no idea what to do next with!

Everything we have done has been the same as the time before, only now we have too much froth when pouring, carbonation looks great, taste is ok but also tastes a little flat - we thought we may have over carbonated but have released the gas from the kegs on numerous occasions and yet there still is way too much froth when pouring!

Any ideas what we should do and what we have done wrong?

Cheers
Roz

search for over carbonation :)

Is the whole pour frothy or just the first bit? Could be the warmer weather warming your taps / font causing CO2 to come out of solution.

Is the whole pour frothy or just the first bit? Could be the warmer weather warming your taps / font causing CO2 to come out of solution.

yes its the whole poor pulled 2 glasses then a jug all head takes a good few minutes to see beer in the glass or the jug

you say, there is too much foam, tastes flat. Points to perhaps too high a serving pressure?!
Maybe try dialing back the pressure to ~7-8 psi. See if that helps, the beer should pour fast but not gush out. Well, thats what I ended up doing to fix my pour.

Could've added extra long beer line to be able to pour with higher carbonation pressure but decided I like my carbonation on the low side anyway. (I use beer guns atm, so they are always cold)

Its over carbonated.
Releasing the gas from the headspace while cold will make very little difference to the gas level in the beer.
Take a keg out of fridge, open pressure release valve, leave at room temperature overnight, close valve, put back in fridge, gas again. Do not apply pressure any higher than 80kPa during the gassing process, be patient, and regardless of your fridge temperature, your line diameter, your line length you will end up with a pourable beer.

sometimes my beer will pour a bit frothy/heady when i haven't drunk any for 2-3 days but after 3-4 schooners she's alright,i have it set on about 85- 90kpa,so as long as i have a couple everyday always pours great, but some glasses a harder to pour than others.

Depending on fridge temp 85-90 is quite a bit, it is not surprising that you get a few foamy pours.

Depending on fridge temp 85-90 is quite a bit, it is not surprising that you get a few foamy pours.

had 2 kegs sitting at room temp for 2 days burping it when i went out there took the 2 cold kegs out put the 2 warm kegs in let them get cold put the pressure on 12psi left it for a while then went and poured a beer all head and not carbed enough so left it for a few hours tried again but all head so i'm wondering if i have had to much head space in the keg how far do you fill the kegs up to

Its over carbonated.
Releasing the gas from the headspace while cold will make very little difference to the gas level in the beer.
Take a keg out of fridge, open pressure release valve, leave at room temperature overnight, close valve, put back in fridge, gas again. Do not apply pressure any higher than 80kPa during the gassing process, be patient, and regardless of your fridge temperature, your line diameter, your line length you will end up with a pourable beer.

We have 2 kegs with the ring pull and 2 with the pressure release valve, will try your suggestion on all 4 now and let you know tomorrow how it turned out.

Thanks Guest Lurker B)

have a read of THIS LINK! and download the balancing table down the bottom. If it taste flat and it pour head sounds like the beers to warm or the pressure is to high. If the lines are warming up and then you pour it will froth up and it may be the case by the time you go back to pour another the lines are warm again. If you balance your system and dont force carb then you may have to look into something else, maybe the beer line is to short??? how long is the beer line?

have a read of THIS LINK! and download the balancing table down the bottom. If it taste flat and it pour head sounds like the beers to warm or the pressure is to high. If the lines are warming up and then you pour it will froth up and it may be the case by the time you go back to pour another the lines are warm again. If you balance your system and dont force carb then you may have to look into something else, maybe the beer line is to short??? how long is the beer line?

going to have a read good read of it thanks

now we have one long line thats feed from the gas to a t piece then 2 lines that are the same lengh that feed to the kegs i'll try and get pic for ya's

it is the beer line length you need to worry about
not the gas line length.

Regards

Graeme

Ok guys, I can honestly say that it's not the lines as they were the same as before and we were getting fantastic pours every time. After getting nothing but froth from our pours off these 4 kegs, we have tried several suggestions from other brewers including the local brew shop guy, the only thing that has now changed with our lines is we've divided the CO2 line and put in a T piece so we can gas both kegs at the same time, the beer line is still the same as before.

Cheers

Sounds over carbonated with perhaps a dash of warm taps

How long is your beer line? And what is its ID (inner diameter)

I'll be going over-carbed, we need to know, temp, pressure on reg, line length. I know you say it hasn't changed, but it's a very common problem when we all start kegging.

The length of the beer line is 1150mm, the ID is 6mm... have attached some pics of our lines

P1010562.JPG

P1010564.JPG

P1010565.JPG

P1010566.JPG

Back