Too Much Froth When Pouring From Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what temp is the fridge at and what pressure, your taps you can slow the pour down so too short lines is not an issue.

Have you tried slowing the pour down (via the tap) ?

what temp is the fridge at and what pressure, your taps you can slow the pour down so too short lines is not an issue.

Have you tried slowing the pour down (via the tap) ?

Clarifying MXD's comment: He does not mean simply pull the handle lightly for a slower pour. There is a flow control valve on the right side of your tap that is used to adjust the tap's pour rate.

Hirns

The temp of the fridge is ? - The temp control is set at 1 .. we need to buy a temp gauge. We generally pour at 80 to 100 KPa

Yes, we have previously tried both fast pour & slow pour using the flow control valve, it made no difference.

Chris has just closed the pressure release valves and re-gassed 2 of the kegs which are now in the fridge getting chilled... will see how it's turned out in a few hours.

80KPA holy shit batman, that's 11.6 psi, gear it back to 4-6 psi or 40-42KPA! And it will overcarb the beer as well!

What do you mean by regassed. If you've over carbed them simply shake the keg and release the pressure to vent the co2. Leave the co2 line off untill it is carbed to the correct level. The extra co2 should still push it out of the tap till then. When its all good hook up the co2 again at 6psi.

I had a keg that i over carbed a couple weeks ago. It just poured foam.

Its caused by the gas breaking out of solution in the line due to the pressure drop once out of the keg.

I opened the keg up and gave it a shake and after a day or so it had degassed enough and poured perectly.

cheers

What do you mean by regassed. If you've over carbed them simply shake the keg and release the pressure to vent the co2. Leave the co2 line off untill it is carbed to the correct level. The extra co2 should still push it out of the tap till then. When its all good hook up the co2 again at 6psi.

We followed the advice posted by Guest Lurker

Its over carbonated.
Releasing the gas from the headspace while cold will make very little difference to the gas level in the beer.
Take a keg out of fridge, open pressure release valve, leave at room temperature overnight, close valve, put back in fridge, gas again. Do not apply pressure any higher than 80kPa during the gassing process, be patient, and regardless of your fridge temperature, your line diameter, your line length you will end up with a pourable beer.

We followed the advice posted by Guest Lurker

No not quite, gas at this pressure for two days, THIS is not serving pressure. After two days disconnect the gas unless you've got a check valve to stop beer getting into the reg, then burp the geg, adjust the regulater to serving pressure and then recoonect the gas to the keg. I regularly only serve at 27kpa or four psi! :icon_cheers:

Yes, we can completely stop the flow of beer with the flow control
Try and turn the flow control on super slow, like a couple of millimeters at a time and see what happens when it first starts to come out - or have you tried that? Just that with my taps, I can get over-carbed beer to pour anyway if I turn it on sensitively enough...

The temp of the fridge is ? - The temp control is set at 1 .. we need to buy a temp gauge. We generally pour at 80 to 100 KPa

If you leave (as in put in an uncarbed keg for a week or so) it at 80 kpa and 1 deg then you should be around carb level of 2.6 which is fine (well for me it is :) )

How did you carb the keg to start with ?

I keep my kegs at between 80 and 90kpa. That is also the serving pressure. Fridge temp is 4C.

I used to dick around with line lengths. FWIW, without flow control, 1.1M at ID 6mm is far too short.

You'd be wanting more like 2M at ID5, BUT with flow control, that shouldn't be a problem.

I now have flow controllers on my taps, and I can pour a beer at 300kpa without foaming.

Dial your flow controllers in until nothing flows, then dial them out slowly while you pour until you have just the right amount of foam.

My ID5 lines are all about 1M now, which gets from the taps to the far corner of the kegerator with the door open.

Another cause of foamy pours is warm taps. You can help rectify this by setting up a PC fan to blow fridge air at the shanks. Might've become a problem as the weather warmed up

My carbonation regime is to cold crash to 1C in the fermenter, then keg. I then burp the keg and put it on 300kpa for 24 hrs. After that I burp the pressure and set it to 80-90kpa. Its drinkable, and will carb up perfectly in a couple of days.

The beer needs to settle/clear anyway.

Back