Too Late To Filter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
Evening all,

Recently had to brew without my usual brew fridge (no temp control) got around this ok - but was unable to do my usual cold crash to clear my brew before kegging. Impatient as ever, I racked into keg, threw it into the beer fridge and connected the gas. Two weeks later, it's carbed perfectly however the yeast that was in suspension when I racked seems to still be (albeit unexpectedly) in suspension... making for a very yeasty beer - not my preferred taste. I have a filter, but I doubt it will work now the beer is carbed. Thought about racking again under pressure using gravity (read that here somewhere) can do that, but not sure it will make a substancial difference.

Brew was K&B - using kit yeast (as temp was up around 20*).

I'd welcome any ideas.

I also have some finnings that came with the filter (never used them).

Cheers,

Hendo

Evening all,

Recently had to brew without my usual brew fridge (no temp control) got around this ok - but was unable to do my usual cold crash to clear my brew before kegging. Impatient as ever, I racked into keg, threw it into the beer fridge and connected the gas. Two weeks later, it's carbed perfectly however the yeast that was in suspension when I racked seems to still be (albeit unexpectedly) in suspension... making for a very yeasty beer - not my preferred taste. I have a filter, but I doubt it will work now the beer is carbed. Thought about racking again under pressure using gravity (read that here somewhere) can do that, but not sure it will make a substancial difference.

I'd welcome any ideas.

Cheers,

Hendo

hi mate,

i dont think u will be able to succesfuully filter post carb. thinking out loud u could release the prv and 'flatten' then filter and re-gas, not sure if this may change the flavour profile tho. maybe u could try?

matt

Sorry hear about your yeasty beer. :(

If I was you I would just chalk it up to being caught out with the fridge and move on.

I have a filter, but I doubt it will work now the beer is carbed.

I'd welcome any ideas.

Cheers,

Hendo
Hendo,

I've carbed a beer before, then got PO'ed with the suspended yeast and filtered it under CO2 pouring pressure.

From memory I just made sure the beer was really cold when I did it.
I think I lost about 1L of beer to foam at the beginning, but it worked alright.

I might have lost a trace level of CO2 -nothing hooking the keg up at a touch over pouring pressure for a day won't fix.

I was pleased once I had done it as I wasn't cursing the beer every time I poured a drink from that keg.

Good luck with yours.

Cheers,

PB

Evening all,

I'd welcome any ideas.

Cheers,

Hendo

I've done this before, but pushed with CO2 rather than gravity using pressure differential (although it can't hurt to have the receiving keg below the murky keg). You need an adjustable pressure relief valve for the gas in of the receiving keg. Trick is to transfer at serving pressure, with only enough difference in pressure between the murky and receiving keg to push the beer through the filter.

1. Flush with CO2 then presurise the receiving keg to serving pressure.
2. Attach the pressure relief valve (closed) to the gas in of the receiving keg.
3. Hook up your lines to the filter, sanitise and flush with CO2.
4. Attach beer out disconnects to each end of the filter lines.
5. Attach beer out disconnect from incoming side of the filter to the murky keg beer out
6. Attach CO2 to gas in of murky keg - set to serving pressure.
7. Attach beer out disconnect from outgoing side of filter to receiving keg beer out.
8. Slowly open the pressure relief valve until beer starts flowing.

John Guest quick release disconnects are really useful for this process. Oh, and as suggested by others, it helps to have everything cold.

Make sense?

Edit: Do it cold.

Back