Too Fizzy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMc

Reaction score
Opened a few bottles of a new batch last night, they were very fizzy. Massive head, and once that calmed down, the beer really fizzed up again in my mouth, and made me burp a lot. Apart from this is tasted good. and it hasn't made me ill, so don't think its infected.

What could have happened?

Using 740ml pet bottles, with 2 carb drops each.
Morgans Blue Mountain Lager + Morgans Beer Enhancer + 12g Hersbruker Finishing Hops + dry enzyme

could the dry enzyme be the problem FG was 1005?
Is it a good job I put this one in PET and was too lazy to wash the glass bottles?

Ah well, Ill just have to open a few to go a bit flatter before I get in to it.

Dry enzyme is a bitch to work with, even at 1005, the brew may have to been finished fermenting. What it does is break down the complex sugars the yeast wont/can't consume into much more simple ones. Something I didn't realise untill someone on here brought it up is that the dry enzyme can even drop your FG below 1000, because alcohol is thinner than water, and there'll be virtually no suger left in the brew. How long was it at 1005 before you bottled? Could also be a gusher infection, which not all the time has a taste to it, especially if its a young beer

Dry enzyme is a bitch to work with, even at 1005, the brew may have to been finished fermenting. What it does is break down the complex sugars the yeast wont/can't consume into much more simple ones. Something I didn't realise untill someone on here brought it up is that the dry enzyme can even drop your FG below 1000, because alcohol is thinner than water, and there'll be virtually no suger left in the brew. How long was it at 1005 before you bottled? Could also be a gusher infection, which not all the time has a taste to it, especially if its a young beer

Thanks for the info, it been bottled about 6 weeks, not sure how long it was at 1005, I checked it at 1010, decided that was not low enough, and left it another week.

I've only used dry enzyme once and the results were disastrous. I could fill a 1L stein to the brim with beer foam from maybe 20mls of actual beer no matter how carefully I poured it. I ended up tipping most of the beer down the sink and only needed about five or six 330ml bottles to fill up an average sized kitchen sink with foam! Surprisingly only one or two bottles from the batch exploded.

Perhaps take another hydrometer reading now. Surely some calculations accounting for the carbonation drops could work out what the FG of the beer is now. If it's lower than 1005, then it hadn't finished fermenting when you bottled.

Has anyone tried de-gassing bottled beer for similar problems in the past. Would cracking and resealing each bottle (with a new cap) be enough to stop the burping. Perhaps warming the beer to X degrees when doing it would help expel excess gas?

Has anyone tried de-gassing bottled beer for similar problems in the past. Would cracking and resealing each bottle (with a new cap) be enough to stop the burping. Perhaps warming the beer to X degrees when doing it would help expel excess gas?

might try that with a few, plastic caps, so no need for a new one.

wont be using that enzyme again...

I had the same problem with the dry enzyme, bottles were way way way too fizzy. Kegs were OK though.

you have to be really keen to use the enzyme for a really low FG beer and wait for it to finish, and expect a FG or around 1000. I don't use it that often as it leads to a thin beer IMO.

fear.

Same experience here,
brewed corona clone with that dangerous enzyme.

First brew finished at ~ 1.000 yet was dangerously overcarbed at 3 weeks in bottle.

Iced them down and drank them / gave them away within 5 weeks.

Second brew similar crappy flavor and a little overcarbed.
Believe this was nearly 4 weeks fermenting.

Cheers

I tried releasing some pressure, before chilling. Still frothed loads when poured, and went really flat pretty quickly.

So I'll just have to put up with it. - :icon_drunk:

OR, could I loosen the tops for a few days to uncarb, them throw another carb drop in each one and leave for a few more weeks? :chug:

Just slightly un-cap them and leave them for about 20 mins then re-cap. That should let enough co2 out without ending up with flat beer. My only fear would be that if it's that overcarbed then you might loose a fair amount of beer from frothing. Can only try

Back