Tonight's brew night

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Made a simcoe/mosaic hopped IPA tonight. Tried out my new Grainfather Sparge vessel. Did what it said on the tin (sparged). Brew night was a bit hotchpotch but I got through it.

First time I've done solely late hop additions so will see how that works out. Timings were roughly about right.

What went wrong. During the brew night I smashed two bottles of my recently made sweet mead. It was tasty alright but 16%. Not a wise move. I was all over the place. So ended up mashing for longer than planned but that was fine. Burn the shit out of my fingers with the steam from my grainfather when I was adding the last hop additions as I had the lid on while I was sterilising the chiller. ******* hurts. When I was transferring wort to fermenter, the little sample valve on my Chronical was slightly open. Open enough to lose about 3 litres of wort. ******* ****.

What went right. I smashed two bottles of my recently made sweet mead. A wise move. Chiller actually worked well tonight and I got down from boiling to 25c in about 20 minutes. I think this might actually be pretty tasty. I'm looking forward to it. Wort was clear as crystal. Was over by about 10 points on my SG, which is alright. I probably should have diluted the wort to make up for the loss as mentioned above.

Made this IPA.

4.7kg pale malt
0.5kg vienna (oh vienna!)
0.2kg wheat malt
0.1kg acidulated malt

25g Simcoe @ 15 minutes
25g Mosaic @ 15 minutes
25g Simcoe @ 10 minutes

25g Mosaic @ 10 minutes
25g Simcoe @ 5 minutes

25g Mosaic @ 5 minutes
50g Simcoe @ 0 minutes (steeped for 5 minutes)

50g Mosaic @ 0 minutes (steeped for 5 minutes)

Mash additions

7.3g Gypsum
0.8g Calcium Chloride
1.8g Epsom Salts
0.7g Baking Soda
0.5ml Phosphoric Acid (96%)

Sparge additions
5.7g Gypsum
0.7g Calcium Chloride
1.4g Epsom Salts
0.5ml Phosphoric Acid (96%)

M42 New World Strong Ale yeast

Right, that's me for the night. I'm doing a northern beaches brewery tour tomorrow. 4 Pines, Nomad, Modus Operandi. Should be alright.

Latest posts

Back