To Strain, Or Not To Strain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungfutigerrob

Reaction score
I've steeped my Caramunich grain, strained the liquor, sparged the grain, then boiled the liquor for 15 minutes, adding hops at 10 and 5 minutes for aroma.

Previously, I have then just added this straight into the fermenter. This time I strained it into the fermenter.

I was a little bit surprised as to the amount of undissolved hop pellets that where left in the strainer.

In your experience, is it best to strain, or not to strain this hopped wort into the fermenter?

Or perhaps it just doesn't matter, as it all settles into the trub after 2 weeks anyway.

My gut is telling me that I should not strain, as there seems to be a lot of wasted hops left in the strainer, but my brain is telling me that I don't know dick about brewing, and I should ask more experienced brewers for their advice.

So, what's it going to be (as Alex would say from A Clockwork Orange), strain or not to strain?

In your experience, is it best to strain, or not to strain this hopped wort into the fermenter?

Or perhaps it just doesn't matter, as it all settles into the trub after 2 weeks anyway.

I used to just chuck my hops into the fermenter. The only issue was I got a few floaties in some of my beers. These days I use a hop sock (you can get for a few bucks from the sponsors) and that keeps 99% of hops out. There was no difference in taste.

If you don't care about the floaties, don't strain. But the hop sock (or small grain bag) would be a good investment.

i use a poly irrigation system strainer in my fermenter outlet hose ....

mainly because I changed to kegs .. and didn't want contamination to get stuck in my keg fittings.. or taps.

hosenetafittings6.jpg

EDIT: obviously the bottom pic is the strainer!!!

i've read that some people put coffee filter paper into these to improve their filtering (ie remove even smaller particles) .. but I haven't found the need to.

I never strain, and even using 300g of hops, never end up with floaties in the finished beers. I don't know if letting my beers rest in the fermenter for at least a month has something to do with it. Patience, young grasshoppers

Straining is GAY :wub:

Back