To Light?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnheiderich

Reaction score
Ok made a Golden Ale on the weekend and I did not hit my numbers as I would have hoped. It was AG mashed @ 66 and I am expecting it to go to 1012 from 1040, about 3.7ish percent.

My question is do I suck it up and have 45 L of midstrength or add some extract during the ferment to bring it up to about 4.5%. I am not opposed to a Mid beer but will I have Mid flavours?

What is the typical action of yeast in a Mid eat more malt or drop to sleep early? 1012 is my usual FG with this style recipe will I hit that?

Advice would be great.

Shawn :)

There's a good chance it will drop lower than this.
Let it finish and see where it goes.

In order to add flavour, maybe brew a strong beer and blend the two.

Or, make and eisbeer?

You could dry hop (tea ball in the keg) to help.

Or, make and eisbeer?

You could dry hop (tea ball in the keg) to help.

It's amazing how easy it is to make a bock even without trying.

Throw the recipe up and then you can start working out how far it should drop based on the fermentables.

I'm not sure that I would assume because it has less alcohol that it will have lots less flavour. I think that because you ended up with less fermentables than you planned, the balance will now swing towards the hops and you could end up with a higher perceived bitterness than you had in mind.

I've had a few AG brews miss their mark for OG, mainly just due to general stuff ups.
A couple of APA's and a pilsner turned out around the 3.8-4.2% mark when i was looking for 5.0%, but the flavour was still spot on and these beers still had a good amount of body. Sometimes a beer that little bit lighter can be all the more rewarding as far as drinkablilty goes.

I had this a while back when I was playing with my mill gap.

I ended up with a 2.99% faux lager made with 5kg of grain in a 20L batch. It didn't taste weak or watery, but had the advantage of being a great session beer.

Now to just work out a way to repeat the results without intentionally aiming for 45% eff.......

Now to just work out a way to repeat the results without intentionally aiming for 45% eff.......

That's probably why most mid strength beers taste piss weak.

The best midstrength beer I've had was a Rogers from Little Creatures that was dry hopped with topaz. :icon_drool2:

" There's a good chance it will drop lower than this.
Let it finish and see where it goes."

Does this mean that a lower SG brew has a better chance of fermenting out to the yeasts full potential?

As I have two 22L, ish fermenters I may just add more fermentables to one and do a bit of a comparison. I think I am hoping for 4% any less and I may as well drink lights.

Thanks 4 your replys

" There's a good chance it will drop lower than this.
Let it finish and see where it goes."

Does this mean that a lower SG brew has a better chance of fermenting out to the yeasts full potential?

As I have two 22L, ish fermenters I may just add more fermentables to one and do a bit of a comparison. I think I am hoping for 4% any less and I may as well drink lights.

Thanks 4 your replys

What's the recipe?

There is nothing wrong with low alcohol beers. Low flavour beers, they're a problem.

Not a big one for detailed notes computer programs and the such I used.

5 kg Pils
about 100g ea of wheat light xtal and choc
mashed 66 for 90min

30g of Cascade at 60
20g of Amarillo at 20
20g of Amarillo at 0

made up 32L in the cubes

mixed in 8L of northern breweries amarillo ale with each 16 L cube and ended up with 2 by 23L fermenters at 1040

yeast WLP 001 Cal

will dry hop each fermenter with 10g of Amarillo after day 4.

I would be happy with an FG of 1008-10 should get 4% rhoughts?

Shawn :rolleyes:

Next time you're at mine for Pizza and beer night I'll whip up some lovely sugar and hop water for you. :p

That sounds delicious. I'll bring something tasty for you in return...

Fresh Wert Kit, I went to the brewshop to get grain and they were all out so I made do with what they had and what I had.

Made a 2L starter with the yeast fermenting @ 20c.

Shawn

Fresh Wert Kit, I went to the brewshop to get grain and they were all out so I made do with what they had and what I had.

Made a 2L starter with the yeast fermenting @ 20c.

Shawn

But after the starter you added 8L of this wort kit to your brew? Honestly I'm having a hard time keeping up with everything you've added to this beer to try and figure out what fermentables you've added.

This isn't a simple scenario where I could just bung the details in beer smith and work out a potential FG.

You've made a double batch then split it then added another wort and I don't know what kind of fermentables are in that.

If you really wanted to know you'd work out your OG for just the grain then work out your OG percentage based on adding that much wort kit then combine it and then punch it into a calculator. :huh:

Brew it. See what happens... You might hit 1012, you might hit 1020. Depends on a lot of things...

Here's my first question question... What yeast?

Took an OG 1040 used the hydro.

Based on which sugars? 2.3KG of maltodextrin will give you 1.040 in a 22litre batch but it'll drop roughly down to 1.038. My point is without knowing how much of any one sugar you've got I can't really tell.

Let's assume you did this as an extract brew. Using beersmith with 2.95KG of extract in a 22litre batch you'll get a OG of 1.040. That has the potential to get down around 1.011 which is a 3.85%ABV.

Adding 0.45kg of DME will knock it up to around 4.58% and looks like a FG of 1.012. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back