Tip For Bottlers Only ,not Keggers !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I had been bottling for three years and I was wrong 'kegging is the only way to go' :excl: .

The initial expense is a bit discouraging but when you get over it ,you will never look back. :blink:

I have just got rid of the last of 300 bottles gained a heap of space a heap of time and the quality of carbonation is great .

I have been kegging a few months before Christmas.

The Tip is 'start kegging '

Sorry keggers I did warn you :p ( Keggers 'ever felt cheated' quote: Johhny Rotten Sex Pistols)

Pumpy

ok, ill bite. is there any way to keg beer without having to keep the kegs in the fridge? my two fridges are already constantly full, definitely no room for a third. so is it somehow possible?

lucas said:
ok, ill bite. is there any way to keg beer without having to keep the kegs in the fridge? my two fridges are already constantly full, definitely no room for a third. so is it somehow possible?
[post="113624"][/post]​

Lucas,
ales in winter don't need to be stored in kegs (in SA anyhow).

cheers
Darren

well Darren I think they still need to be kegged, but perhaps not refrigerated.

Roach,
You are right. In kegs, not refrigerated.

cheers
Darren

I have a friend who seems to brew alot faster than me. I drink mine way too quick. He can only fit two kegs in his fridge as well. However he has about 5 kegs and they are always full. Instead of carbonating them he just burps them till there is no oxygen left in them and lets them sit by the fridge. Sometimes for months at a time. Good on him I say. But it seems to work for him.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Craig

All our beer, be it bottles or kegs really should be kept in the fridge after it has carbonated. But not many of us have the cold room space to do this.

Kegs really need carbonating before storing, the lid relies on internal pressure to seal, and only burping it may not provide enough pressure.

Kegs do force carbonate better when cold.

Hi Lucas,

To answer your question yes there is - a temprite. I do admit that it is difficult carbonating warm kegs but it is possible. The only downside is that I only have 2 lines.

Cheers BDB

pint of lager said:
the lid relies on internal pressure to seal, and only burping it may not provide enough pressure.

I burp and then knock in a good 25-30psi of head pressure...never had a leaky lid.

The way I see it, with that much pressure in a non-chilled keg, the worst that could happen is further fermentation (how ever slight) creating even more pressure to keep the lid up :beer:

I did post a question about leaving kegs at mid to high temps for extended periods some time back and experience has since shown me that even at 30+ temps the beer will survive quite well :)

PZ.

I heard John Palmer talking about this, and he was saying that even a lager can be stored at room temperature after the lagering process if complete.

From there, I run my product in 8mm line into coiled copper 3/8" tube, then into 4mm line and through a font. The coils sit in a bath of chilled glycol, and this delivers quite a good result.

Mind you, I'd rather have better control of the temperature of my glycol - I can feel another fridge coming on...

Andy

I couldnt' afford to use kegs, livers are very expensive.

I need to be able to look at the bottles i have opened, too much danger with beer on tap for me.

yes boozy very very correct. i have fallen into the cycle of not knowing what i have drank. but on the flip side " i'lll just top my glass up before i go inside" ;) :p ;)

having looked into the cost of kegging and the cost of going all grain, i think i'll be going AG first, as bottling into PET bottles is pretty easy....

i'm unsure about kegging to tell the truth as i'm not sure i could pace myself with a bottomless glass, compared to visibly used bottles.

Andy,
Is your glycol/coil bath in or near the freezer or just in the fridge?
Is your coil long enough?
I have had some experience using coils with good results but not glycol-does it work?
Cheers 15BL :beer:

I find that I drink less using the kegs often I dont want a full 750 ml bottle .

Wth the kegs i just pour half a glass .

pumpy

I gotta agree with Pumpy...

I drink less with kegs as i can just pour exactly what i want...

no opening stubbies or tallies or 600ml or 1.2ltr bottles and drinking them all...

just pour exactly what i want.

GMK I find it hard to beleive you drink less because it is on a tap, I have witnessed this myself.

Ha Ha

Datfrog

"The Brew Lounge"

Pumpy,
When you pour half a glass is it the top or bottom half? Also how big is that glass?

GMK said:
I gotta agree with Pumpy...

I drink less with kegs as i can just pour exactly what i want...

no opening stubbies or tallies or 600ml or 1.2ltr bottles and drinking them all...

just pour exactly what i want.
[post="113995"][/post]​

Me also :) I drink less with kegs, or I think I do <_< which is more the case :( only drank bottles the other night and could not believe how many there were the next day

fifteenbeerslater said:
Pumpy,
When you pour half a glass is it the top or bottom half? Also how big is that glass?
[post="114097"][/post]​

Ha! Ha! :D I like that

Pumpy

Back