Thoughts On Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard78

Reaction score
Hi just want to get some opinions on this recipe

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1kg Coopers BE2
500g Light Dry Malt
200g Crystal 120
25g POR 25min
Safale US-05

Already have coopers can, BE2 and light dry malt.
Thanks Brad

Looks ok to me, will be a bit stronger than your average brew but if thats what your after. Personally I'm not a fan of POR hops, and apparently if they aren't fresh they aren't all that crash hot. Only thing I'd do is sub the hops for something like Cascade, Amarillo or the likes. What type of crystal malt is it?

Hi Homebrewer79,
Thanks for the reply, I ran the ingredients through Ianh's spreadsheet and got the crystal from his list of malts. I've seen it pop up a few times on the forum and thought I'd give it a try.
The spreadsheet gave me the following numbers
O.G 1049
F.G 1015
IBU 29.5
EBC 12.4
%Alc 4.5 in the keg

Hey Wizzard78, I'm not farmiliar with the spreadsheet but at a guess it'd just be something like medium crystal malt? There are a whole heap of different crystal malts each having their own very distinct flavour/aroma/colour. Have a look at the Craftbrewer web site, all the malts with cara or crystal in the name is a crystal malt, you'll notice how many different types there are. If what you're using is in fact medium or even light crystal then I'd say go for it, I've never used dark crystal so I can't comment on how strong a flavour it has.

Just my personal prefference/ experience, but I also am not a fan of POR hops. I think they are ok in small quantities for a low hopped lager but not so great in greater quantities. A more "noble" hop like saaz or cascade would be better IMO, at least for my pallette...

Again, just my preference...

Back