Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think without real hop additions, a K+K IPA is always going to be limited to tasting like a really bitter pale ale. I just can't see how they could reproduce those commercial flavours faithfully. Maybe an English style one , perhaps that's what they were going for with the Brew A. But I think you're dreaming if you want a US style IPA from a tin.

But then I've only tried this one once with not enough malt. Maybe even like a teabag dry hop would make a big difference to it.

Last edited:
I'm brewing this at the moment. Pretty strong percentage. Did it really taste that bad,Anything it was lacking? Cheers

I mean the Brew A IPA that Cooper's actually produced commercially opposed to the kit, theirs was just boring, lacked any real hop qualities.

Makes me think of when someone says "I hate IPAs" and follows up with "I've only tried Sleeping Giant". It's one of those.

the kit you can do whatever you want with though so it's a good enough base

I just tried my Cooper's brew IPA after being bottled for 2 weeks.

I used this recipe:
1 tin Coopers Brew A IPA
1.5kg light dry malt
US05 yeast

Not a bad drink, fairly bitter but that was subdued a bit because of the amount of malt.
A better indication will be after another 2 weeks, then I can decide if it needs any additives.
I'm a big fan of just using a simple recipe without having to boil hops etc. but sometimes that's necessary.
Not a big fan of dry hopping as the effect disappears too quickly.
I prefer a 10 minute and a 5 minute rolling boil at the start which adds flavour but not too much bitterness.
(especially with the Brew A as it is already fairly bitter).
A lot of brewers seem to chase aroma, but I prefer to boil hops to extract taste more than aroma.

I would appreciate any alternative (or better) advice you may have.
What temp did you pitch and brew at using the same yeast????

Back