This Pot Suitable For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was doing a single BIAB I used a keggle conversion being taller than wide, and also a square sized pot as per the one you are looking at. I preferred the wider shape of the pot anyday.

QldKev

Wider pot = less spillage over the side when you hoist the bag. Your evaporation rate will also be greater, but any good brewing software will do the start volume calculations for you.

The first burner I owned was a 3 ring. I found it to be the minimum I could get away with. There must be 2 versions of them as some report them to give a decent boil. You can also get a 4 ring version which if you want to stay with them would be the way I would go. Best thing about ring burners you can just turn off a ring if you want to. I've also tried a 20jet Mongolian burner which was a lot faster than the 3 ring, and happy under a double sized batch, but under my quad sized batch even with a high pressure reg was pushed beyond it's limits. If you don't mind the noise NASA/Turkey burners are the best.

Have a search on here for 'burners', and also if it suits you electric.

QldKev

You can't go past the Italian spiral burner with the medium pressure adjustable reg from beerbelly. They have the grunt of the nasa but not as noisy.

Cool thanks for that, think I will go ahead and buy that pot then.

Another question, if I want to be doing my BIAB out doors, what kind of gas burner will I need?

Would one of these bad boys with a regulator do the job? http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/camping-ou...n-503129916.htm

Hi Echo,

I have that exact same burner.
Honestly speaking, I found it to be a little underpowered especially for a 50L pot (mine was only 30L).
Waiting for liquid to boil on a slow burner can add heaps of time to your brew day.
Which usually means more drinking and a higher probability of spilling your hydrometer samples :blink: .

At the end of the day, it is a cheap option.
If I had my time again, I would have got a more powerful burner.
In the end, I opted for an electric urn setup (high $200's).

Cheers,
Jake.

Thats the exact burner i use (although paid quite a lot less)... When i started out i simply put it on bricks to keep it off the concrete floor in the garage...

I only do single batches with a Low pressure reg and have no worries getting 32L upto boil... (iirc from mash temp to boil about 20-30min)

edit: slow typing... If your thinking of spending that much on a burner, Look elsewhere!

My first BIAB pot was a 40x40cm 50L pot

If you are going to want to do doubles (as in two kegs) later then get a 70L pot. Otherwise a 50L pot is great for doing 23L batches.

I use an Italian spiral with med pressure adjustable reg, and it kicks. Will actually boil 100L if necessary.

That italian spiral burner looks pretty good to me.

Doesn't look like they will be easy to find in NZ though. I'll email beerbelly and see if they will ship to NZ, could end up being pretty expensive with shipping though.

Just a note, I'm not looking at doing 50L boils, more like 35ish.

You mentioned brewing outdoors, but will you have power near by? I'm thinking an electric element could be a lot cheaper to setup.

QldKev

There would be a power outlet near by.

Not necessarily looking for the cheapest option, I'm looking for the best option that is within a reasonable price range.

That italian spiral burner looks pretty good to me.

Doesn't look like they will be easy to find in NZ though. I'll email beerbelly and see if they will ship to NZ, could end up being pretty expensive with shipping though.

Just a note, I'm not looking at doing 50L boils, more like 35ish.

Good, because you can't boil 50L in a 50L pot ;)

But you can mash about 48L (in my 50 the lid uses about a CM)

And you get about 8mm for every L

So 40L equals 32cm of Water, or 8cm of headspace. Which is about the most you want to boil

I found a 2 ring burner on Low Pressure was NOT sufficient.

I then tried a medium pressure adjustable reg and yes I could boil the wort but I did not feel comfortable with that setup (as in dangerous) so stepped up to an Italian spiral. Which can easily boil 40L. Hard to know exactly but I think 66C to 78C in 4 minutes! So 3C/minute. With 90L boils its more like 1C/minute

(I now use a 98L pot and my 50L pot + 2 ring for sparging, and knock out 70L of wort)

Cool thanks for the info, was defintely aware 50L boils could not be done in that size pot ;)

Wow that's extremely quick! Sounds like it would make brew day go much much quicker.

So I think my verdict is I will get a Italian Spiral, depending on shipping/availability of getting one to NZ. Looks like definitely the best option to future proof my brewing capabilities.

Just to double check, these regs just connect up to your standard BBQ LPG bottle right?

I'm using a spiral with a standard bbq regulator and its more than enough for a single batch size boil.

Pot, perfect

3 ring burner works great with adjustable reg

Brewstand in the ladder dept at the big shed

photo__1_.jpg

Latest posts

Back