Thin Ring Of Stuff Around Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the beer in the old days must've been crap... honestly, Yorkshire four squares an all...

It's not just the old days!

Every British brewery I've ever been in has great big open fermenters, and about 7 million people walk through on a tour every day, stick their heads in to get a full on CO2 hit, coughing sneezing, farting and throwing up all over the place.
Foreigners throw coins (and tiny dolphins) in for good luck and because they're immigrants, try to spoil the British tradition by surreptitiously pouring stale Heineken into the brew.
And once a day the traditional brewery dog is expected to swim across each fermenter, and if the foam sticks to his fur it's a sign that the beer is ok, and guests are invited to lick the dog clean.

Oh, I miss home. Haven't licked a beery dog in ages.* :unsure:

*warning: some much most of the above post may not be true (only last night I licked a beery dog).

I was just in the shed and i noticed one of batch that i bottled recently has a ring of stuff around the top of the beer wheer it meets the air. Whenever i would pick them up though the ring would disperse and then fall to the bottom. Sort of looked like there was bits of hops floatinf around but i can't be sure.
THen i notticed that another batch looked the same.
The only thing that i have done differently with these two batches is use raw sugar to prime rather than carb drops.

The beer tastes fine (besides being a little young) so hopefully its alright.

Anyone had this?
I did a search but the only bottle infection i could find was one that looked really bad, mine doesn't look like that. I am super clean with everything that i do. I spray the air with sanitiser!!

ekul

I've had similar with a couple of batchs, but not all bottles in the batch. My brews were fairly heavily hopped, including dry hopping thrown straight into fermenter. I just put it down to hop residue. Didn't effect taste at all
I've also had it happen a couple of times when I've put 2 stubbies in the house to carb quicker for a taste test, maybe the warmer temp and quicker carbing has an effect?

Planner

I aggree with Manticle, no matter how careful we are we are aiming to reduce the possibility of infection.

As for spraying the air reducing infections... this is how antiseptic came into use in operating threatres. During medieval amputations of infected limbs cologne was often sprayed to mask the smell of rotting flesh. Some surgeons(usually the local barber) subsequently noticed a reduced rate of infections as a result of the alcohol in the cologne.

However, I don't spray the air, nor the Missus or the dog!

Hirns

Latest posts

Back