Thermometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borret said:
I don't think I would ever purchase a thermowell.
I would go down the path of making one though if the need arose. The only issue would be getting through the stainless with a long series drill. Doesn't sound like fun. However you could probably fabricate one pretty easily from the right size tube.

Cheers
Borret
[post="69433"][/post]​

Borret, I've been thinking about this for a while. My problem is, how do you enclose and seal the end of the tube such that there are no little joints, etc for bacteria to hide? I understand that thermowells have a smooth, rounded end, like the end of a test tube.

BeerIsGood said:
Borret said:
I don't think I would ever purchase a thermowell.
I would go down the path of making one though if the need arose. The only issue would be getting through the stainless with a long series drill. Doesn't sound like fun. However you could probably fabricate one pretty easily from the right size tube.

Cheers
Borret
[post="69433"][/post]​

Borret, I've been thinking about this for a while. My problem is, how do you enclose and seal the end of the tube such that there are no little joints, etc for bacteria to hide? I understand that thermowells have a smooth, rounded end, like the end of a test tube.
[post="69460"][/post]​

I would personally tig weld a small machined plug of the same meatal in the end and then machine and polish it to shape.
The other possibility worth considering would be using a tube just heavy enough to allow you to tap it and install a suitable sized pan head in itwith the shortest thread possible. This would not have any considerable thermal mass considering the amount of mash it is in and if it didnt seal you could put a copper washer in there to assist. This way it would still be serviceable for cleaning much like a compression fitting but without the rubber parts to worry about. Besides if it's being boiled then the bacteria isn't so much of a problem.
Welding would still be the better option.

Cheers

Borret

After contacting a seller on Ebay I have made a purchase of 3 Tel Tru thermometers.
He had them up for sale at a very good price and I am just waiting on a shipping quote before I pay for them, there is a good chance I will be looking to offload one of them when they arrive at cost price so if anyone is interested let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7535614902

:super:

Brizbrew said:
After contacting a seller on Ebay I have made a purchase of 3 Tel Tru thermometers.
He had them up for sale at a very good price and I am just waiting on a shipping quote before I pay for them, there is a good chance I will be looking to offload one of them when they arrive at cost price so if anyone is interested let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7535614902

[post="69665"][/post]​
Bisbrew, I would deffinitley be interested if it is suitable for my needs as I am looking for just something like it. Pm me when you get them gicing all the details, etc.. I hope you selected a Centigrade option...

:beer:
PeterS....

c1_1_b.JPG

They have a dual scale on the face so they should keep me happy. :beerbang:

I'd be interested in one too...

Do I smell another Brissy bulk buy ;)

Matt

4" Dials too Brizbrew. Semi-Sundials welcome (almost) to the club. :super:

Did you get them for $19 each or for 3? Smells like a good buy.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
4" Dials too Brizbrew. Semi-Sundials welcome (almost) to the club. :super:

Did you get them for $19 each or for 3? Smells like a good buy.

Warren -
[post="69677"][/post]​
$19US for the three which is a very good buy by any standards, the stinger will be the postage, I have emailed the seller and asked for a price by airmail.
If I manage to sell one to a fellow brewer here it should offset the cost a bit and also make someone else very happy.

4 inch dials are big enough to qualify for entry to the sundial club...surely? :p

BRISBREW

OR ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE IN BRISY. I TOO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN UP TO THREE OF THESE AT THIS PRICE. PM ME IF A BULK PURCHASE SHOULD HAPPEN.

REGARDS DERRICK

Dang that's cheap. But sorry they don't compare to the regalness of the certified sundial. They may pass as the town square clock perhaps. :p I would be interested in one but I believe you already have a sellers market before you.
Here's the 2 I got for US$18 each delivered (surface). The guy said he had 11 more of them so if anyone is interested PM for his details. They are 3 inch grandfather clock dials with 4 inch stems and 1/2" NPT thread. Still think I'll eventually go digital probe for the MT.

d2_1_b.jpg

Cheers

Borret :blink:

I just paid for the three thermometers to be shipped by airmail from the US for $40 so that makes a grand total of $60US....Bargain!!!

I have sent the seller an email asking if he has anymore of these for sale and will try to arrange a bulk buy for all those Brisbanites interested.

AG is getting closer and closer. :super: :super:

Brizbrew said:
I just paid for the three thermometers to be shipped by airmail from the US for $40 so that makes a grand total of $60US....Bargain!!!

I have sent the seller an email asking if he has anymore of these for sale and will try to arrange a bulk buy for all those Brisbanites interested.

AG is getting closer and closer. :super: :super:
[post="69766"][/post]​

Works out to about $26 Oz per thermo. Good effort Brizbrew. :rolleyes:

You now take the mantle of the sundial king. Use it wisely. :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Brizbrew said:

AG is getting closer and closer.
[post="69766"][/post]​

Works out to about $26 Oz per thermo. Good effort Brizbrew. :rolleyes:

You now take the mantle of the sundial king. Use it wisely. :lol:

Warren -
[post="69769"][/post]​

Yupp, around $80 for the three of them shipped half way around the globe, it is a little disturbing to think that HB shops charge more than this for one of the buggers!
Burn baby burn. :super:

Sounds great! Sign me up for the bulk buy!

M

Brizbrew, Have you got your thermos yet, I just ordered a pair :p and was wondering how long yours took to get here by airmail.

Cheers
Andrew

Did some research recently on finding some reasonably priced bimetal thermos availably locally. I came across a crowd call OneTemp who have 4 inch dial/6 inch stem with a range of 0-120 for around $30. They are 304SS and 1/2" BSP. Unfortunately the local Adelaide office were out of stock and expecting more in a few weeks.

Can't vouch for their quality/performance and no affiliation blah blah blah, but might be a good alternative if you can't get bargain through ebay etc.

I will likely be getting one for my HLT and will report back on its performance against my NIST certified digitherm I did a mini bulk buy(only 2 :D ) for recently.

AndrewQLD said:

Brizbrew, Have you got your thermos yet, I just ordered a pair :p and was wondering how long yours took to get here by airmail.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="71455"][/post]​
Still waiting.....They could arrive today hopefully.
I am going to send the ebay guy an email if they don't come today just to chase it up and find out how far along we are, I am raring to brew but have no thermometer so it is all on that.

Did you order yours from ebay?

roach said:
Did some research recently on finding some reasonably priced bimetal thermos availably locally. I came across a crowd call OneTemp who have 4 inch dial/6 inch stem with a range of 0-120 for around $30. They are 304SS and 1/2" BSP. Unfortunately the local Adelaide office were out of stock and expecting more in a few weeks.

Can't vouch for their quality/performance and no affiliation blah blah blah, but might be a good alternative if you can't get bargain through ebay etc.

I will likely be getting one for my HLT and will report back on its performance against my NIST certified digitherm I did a mini bulk buy(only 2 :D ) for recently.
[post="71458"][/post]​

Sounds good roach.
Let us know how you get on with them.

johnno

Still waiting.....They could arrive today hopefully.
I am going to send the ebay guy an email if they don't come today just to chase it up and find out how far along we are, I am raring to brew but have no thermometer so it is all on that.

Did you order yours from ebay?

I did, they said they would leave last monday, so I am keen too :D .
Can you let us know what happens re delivery?

cheers
Andrew

Back