Thermoacoustic Refrigeration Using Carbon Nano Tubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
Imagine a fermenter woven out of carbon nanotubes that would keep your brew cool with sound, crazy technology.
Perhaps a nano tube cover that would slip over the item to be cooled.
This is a lay mans presentation http://www.benjerry.com/our_company/sounds_cool/
there's other more hardcore technical papers out there also.

so all I have to do is whip down to Bunnings... buy some carbon nanotubes and hook em up to my stereo??

Which do you think would be the most efficient cooling sounds

Daddy Cool
Miles David - Birth of the cool
LL Cool J

??

If you were making VB... would it have to be Barnsey to get the right flavour?

Nice geek work Mike

That Ben and Jerry's thing is from around 2004-2005... ancient times when talking about nanotechnology!

I'll hopefully get to muck around with some CNTs this year! One of the perks of being a poor, unpaid postgraduate. I'm not sure I'll be making a fermenter sweater though.

But amazingly after having a working prototype in 2004, we have not heard of further developments...

While there is no doubt regarding thermoacoustic refrigeration in the laboratory, many attempts at making it work at larger scale have so far failed...

Just like cold fusion, we'll crack the code one day!

These things take time
Jean Charles Athanase Peltier 1785-1845

MHB

I only found out about it because the Chinese have found a way to use this technology as a replacement for current speaker technology for sound reproduction, so sorry if its old news

Which do you think would be the most efficient cooling sounds

Daddy Cool
Miles David - Birth of the cool
LL Cool J

??

MC Hammer - Ice Ice Baby
Ice-T
Ice Cube

Of course if you're doing K&K and using the yeast under the lid you would want some Peter Andre in there to heat things up to the mid 30's

I recall seeing a large-scale (half-metre tall) one of these at Uni Adelaide's Open Day a few years ago - I had to explain to the public what it was, so I got the quick rundown from the guy who built it. The physics of it is really quite simple - put a speaker pointing down the length of a sealed cylinder with some sort of gas, then drive a standing wave. You get nodes at well-defined places where the sound waves cancel, and thus the pressure is higher (or lower, can't be bothered working it out right now) and thus the temperature is higher (or lower). Compress a gas and you heat it up - pump up a bike tire and you'll know - the opposite happens for low pressure.

You then have a tube with n hot spots and n cold spots. Tune it right and you can have just 1 hot spot and 1 cold spot (plus the end with the speaker of course) - used correctly, this can be made into a heat sink. The main problems (IIRC) were that the sink was only so big, so you couldn't exactly put it on the back of a fridge and expect much; and that you still had to remove heat from the hot end. Clearly these guys have solved the former by making lots of little ones, but without reading more I'm not sure how they're dissipating the heat. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how they're fitting much gas inside a CNT as it is... Perhaps it's a completely different principle. Dang.

Still, nice find.

Latest posts

Back