• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Thermapen - Digital Temperature Probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have two, Thermapens for sale; colour Lime Green.

The Thermapens are new, in boxes with all information and calibration certificates.

A thermapen is a accurate, fast digital temperature probe. Great for measuring internal temp of cooked meat, BBQ temp, mash temp, strike temp etc.

Asking $100 + $10 postage each. $190 + $10 postage for both.

PM me if interested.

Some info:

The SuperFast Thermapen thermometer incorporates a large digital display with a precise read-out of temperature over the range of -49.9 to 299.9 °C with a 0.1 °C resolution and an accuracy of ±0.4 °C. The resolution can be switched to 1 °C, if required, via a switch in the battery compartment. The thermometer will power off automatically after ten minutes, maximising battery life. This feature can be disabled if not required.

The casing is washable and includes 'Biomaster' additive that reduces bacterial growth and the ergonomic rubber seal minimises the risk of the ingress of water, dust or food. As well as being water resistant, it is still 'probably' the fastest reading contact thermometer on the market today. The true temperature of a product can be tested in under four seconds.

Both low battery (icon) and open circuit indication are displayed, when applicable.
Each Thermapen is powered by two lithium coin cell batteries with a minimum life expectancy of 1500 hours. The Thermapen incorporates a reduced tip, stainless steel, food penetration probe Ø3.3 x 115 mm, that conveniently folds back through 180 degrees into the side of the instrument when not in use.

Over 50 % faster response than traditional pen type probes
Temperature range of -49.9 to 299.9 °C
Reaches temperature in just four seconds
FREE traceable certificate of calibration
Foldaway probe for safe storage
Water resistant case
Thin tip for faster readings
Resolution 0.1 °C or 1 °C - user selectable
Accuracy ±0.4 °C (-49.9 to 199.9 °C) ±1 °C (200 to 300 °C)
Battery 2 x 3 volt CR2032 lithium coin cell
Battery life 1500 hours
Sensor type K thermocouple
Display 14.3 mm LCD
Dimensions 19 x 47 x 153 mm
Weight 97 grams

$T2eC16VHJFwFF,FS9UYJBR3Jo2Dih!~~60_35.jpg

Looks good, if expensive compared to the Jaycar model.

But:
Temperature range of -49.9 to 299.9 °C

No way I'm putting my hand anywhere near to a liquid at nearly 300 degrees C!

Agree, its pricey, but works well. Designed for food applications I believe, checking internal temps of cooked foods. Obviously can also be used for other temperature checking

Are these the factory refurbished ones from a couple of months ago?

Happy to consider all reasonable offers if anyone is interested. PM me...

Sorry to resurect an old thread, and not within context of it's original purpose, but, does anybody know how to get one of these shipped over to Aus?

Had a look on the manufacturer site, and they only deliver to UK/EU. Amazon only has a link to the manufacturers site, so stuck again :(

Really keen to get a nice accurate handle on my smoking, and these get the best reviews.

Heaps of people over here have them, you can use a freight forwarder if all else fails, but I'm sure there is an easier way.
Sorry, not much help, haven't researched how to get one myself yet. Maybe Barls can help?

Also, have you considered a remote thermometer like the Maverick 733?

I was going to ask my brother to get one of these in the UK and forward it to me but I wonder if this might be a candidate for a bulk buy?

I've got the Maverick 733 but it's not good with moisture (I've added some heatshrink and tape but it still goes crazy sometimes).

I bought a meat temp sensor from Master Butchers in Adelaide for around $40 that reads in 4 seconds.
When my son saw it he went on ebay and bought a few very similar ones for under $10. Got those ones and put 'em to the test and they were very slow which meant a very hot hand holding the thing over the BBQ until it got to temp...174 deg for chicken.

Master butchers do a dearer one as well, around $60 from memory which is apparently a better quality and is a four second read out as well.

This is not to take away from the thermo pen which is what I believe to be the Top of the Range but they are expensive and hard to get.

Cheers

SmallFry said:
Sorry to resurect an old thread, and not within context of it's original purpose, but, does anybody know how to get one of these shipped over to Aus?

Had a look on the manufacturer site, and they only deliver to UK/EU. Amazon only has a link to the manufacturers site, so stuck again :(

Really keen to get a nice accurate handle on my smoking, and these get the best reviews.
Urban Griller in Perth imports them
http://www.urbangriller.com/Thermapen.html

+1 on the Mavericks, I do a lot of smoking and they are awesome

Holy crap that's dear for what it is. I smoke a shitload too, but the $15 instant thermo pen I got from a kitchen speciality shop will do me.

SmallFry said:
Amazon only has a link to the manufacturers site, so stuck again :(
I just ordered one of the lime green ones (must be a disliked colour because they're much cheaper) and got it delivered from amazon.co.uk. Ended up costing AU$87.40 including delivery

Here's the link to the one I ordered

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back